Default Lee Loader Update

Well, I'm a few hundred rounds into the Lee Loaders now. I have one in .303 Brit and one in .30.06.

I load in two phases on separate days. One day I de cap, re size and prime. On another day I charge with powder and seat bullets. I've gotten a lot faster with practice, not as fast as with the Rock Chucker but not agonizingly slow as it was at the start either. Most of the slowness is from trickleing up charges since the scoops won't give me the load I want just by dumping and since I use IMR 4064 powder I wouldn't be able to get the consistency I want anyhow.

the good: I've found I can get an adequately accurate load using this system. It doesn't take up a lot of space and is cheap. Cheap is important because, in my case, once I use up all my existing components I'm going to be selling it off. Most important my wife doesn't have a problem with it since its mostly out of sight and out of mind.

The bad: There are quirks. One is due to the fact that you're doing everything by impact. An online video said safety glasses are a good idea since it is possible to set off a primer when seating it... yup, it's happened to me twice which brings me to another issue. The first primer I popped I decided to salvage the case by decapping it. Bad Idea. I got the decaping rod stuck in that resized neck and couldn't get it out. The replacement is cheap but aggravating none the less. Also, the pins on the decappers are stout looking but not the hardest. This means they won't break, but if you don't actually get them into the primer pocket they can bend. It's easier to do this on a wide at the head case like .303 British and yes that happened to me too.

I bought some 168 gr. Hornady ELDs at a good price. Prior to that I only used Sierra Match Kings or Game Kings. Using the same data I don't seem to get quite the same accuracy with the ELDs but I haven't shot a lot of them either. They also shoot a bit higher than the Match Kings, for me at least? . As I said I haven't shot a whole bunch of them so we'll see.

Also, get a good rubber headed mallet if you're going to use one of these. They're cheap and what the instructions call for. I see people on line using claw hammers and such on their Lee Loaders. Whacking tool steel with tool steel isn't recommended (obviously.)
    Last edited by Art; 09-15-2023 at 12:06.

2. Default

Do you use the "D" scoop method for powder? Or just scoop & tap to level?
    I've found it every bit as accurate as metering.

Quote Originally Posted by Phloating Phlasher View Post
    Do you use the "D" scoop method for powder? Or just scoop & tap to level?
    I've found it every bit as accurate as metering.
    Scoop and tap. However the amount the scoops hold is too much for my .30-06 load and too little for my .303 load with the powder I use. It's a minor inconvenience since I've always trickled up my loads.

4. Default

OK, do you have the Lee set of powder scoops, or just what came with the Whack a mole kit?
    The best thing I ever got for my Lee's Classic was the set of scoops!
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101284828/?pid=943305

The "D" Method!
    Get a container wide enough & deep enough to hold enough powder but not too much more than you'll use (cat food tins & small Chinese take out soup containers) or something similar.
    Fill them enough that you go in, rotate slowly as you scoop & exit facing UP, then tap once gently sideways.
    It may take a little practice but its very, very consistent if you do it right.
    Give it a try, I found it works every bit as well as a powder meter.

I bought the Lee Loaders to use up existing components, of which I had a pretty good bit, since I no longer felt comfortable using the Rockchucker of a friend who now has dementia. If I was going to use the Lee Loaders long term I would definatly have a scoop set. As it is there are a little over 100 primers left and about that many bullets to go with them and I figure enough powder to finish up. I already have more ammo than I'll ever use at my current age and physical condition.

Next week I'll finish up the .303 British, there are about 55 bullets left in that caliber, (40 pulled Mk VII bullets and 15 Match Kings) and the cases are sized and primed. Next I'll finish up the .30-06. I have about 60 ELDs and 20 game kings left for that.

After that I'll sell off the remaining brass, and the loaders.

I'll admit I've gotten to enjoy this method though. The only thing more primitive may be a Tong Tool.
    Last edited by Art; 09-16-2023 at 04:14.

6. Default

I've found the Whack-a-mole handy for load development.
    I do all the case work at home on My Lyamn single-stage or the Dillon progressive, but don't charge with powder or seat the bullet.
    Final steps are done in lots of 5~7 rounds at the range using scoops & the Lee Classic. that way If I come up with a real dog of a load its no biggie & I don't have to wait for the next range trip to develop the load further.