Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default The joys of doing a brake job. A Drum Brake job that is ...

I have to admit that the first time I attempted a
    drum brake renewal, I learned a whole new vocabulary
    whilst trying to get those powerful springs over the hub.
    It was a learning on the job affair and I learned. It took
    a few minutes of staring until I figured out the hub
    needed to be removed.
    Eureka. Then it became easy as long as I remembered
    which big spring size went where. Since then I've the
    task three more times (but only once on the rears).
    Anyone else had this much fun ?

I use to do one side at a time instead of taking everything apart at once. That way I had a go-by in case I forgot what spring got hooked where.

Did you know that you can no longer rebuild brake cylinders? As simple as they are you're not "allowed" to rebuild them yourself nor can you buy the few and simple parts. You have to buy them assembled.

I've even rebuilt the large power brake vacuum boosters on the master cylinders. That's been outlawed for decades now.

3. Default

Oh yes! I did a Full width Twin Leading Shoe on a Triumph Bonneville motorcycle.
    The spring hook snapped after installation at 40 mph & locked up the front wheel.
    I still remember the idiot trimming a hedge upside down as & flew through the air.
    I still have the giant scar on my left hip to remind me I was the one upside down at the time!

Blog Entries

have not done a drum brake in maybe 25 yrs,

did look at them on the back of the tundra, but they were still good,

each and every brake job I did on various cars involved my bleeding from at least one knuckle,

The last brake job I did was about 3 years ago on my Kodiak dump truck. This is about a 2 1/2 ton rating truck. Disc brakes all around.

One of the rear wheels had starting smoking indicating a dragging or locked up caliper. I replaced both rear calipers and all rubber lines going to the calipers along with the pads of course. Hitting the calipers once with a sledge hammer made removal super easy. The disc are huge and look complicated to remove so I left them be since they were in good shape.

One of the things I dislike about drum brake shoe replacement is having to deal with the parking brakes, at least on Fords.

This truck was super easy in that regard because the parking brake is a separate drum brake on the drive shaft, no where near the rear brakes.

And I thought the name meant rusted out ' that soon'

I did a lot of drum brakes back in the day. The E-brakes on my truck are still drum brakes. Not bad to do if you have the proper brake tools

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in NH View Post
    I did a lot of drum brakes back in the day. The E-brakes on my truck are still drum brakes. Not bad to do if you have the proper brake tools
    Most cars and pickups are made like that now with the rear disc brakes being a drum brake also for the E/Parking brake.

Few people realize how much asbestos dust a brake mechanic used to breath in when pulling a drum off of a car. The dust is the airborne dangerous state of asbestos. It is mostly harmless otherwise.

Of course those days are over since shoes and pads aren't made of asbestos any longer but most all of us who pulled a drum off in the past have breathed it into our lungs.

The first time I did it the drums refused to come off.
    I pried, poked and levered but they wouldn't budge.
    My Friend's son was a mechanic so I asked him when
    we were at a swap meet. He said to hit them with a
    sledge hammer - hard. I thought it would crack the
    drum but he said he'd done countless brake jobs
    without damage - he added "that's why we don't
    allow customers to see what we're doing"
    After a few timid blows, I covered the nuts and gave
    it a bash - it came right off.

As for those rebuilt cylinders, the damn things come
    with different threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I use to do one side at a time instead of taking everything apart at once. That way I had a go-by in case I forgot what spring got hooked where. ........
    I have done that more than once.

One time, in the apartment parking lot in F-ville during my college career, I did this. However, that blasted drum would NOT come off. I battered, pulled, pried, battered it more, pried more with a4 ft long bar as hard as I dared (until the not-so-massive '81 Corolla threatened to come off the jack (what's this jack-stand of what people spoke then?). After a couple HOURS of this, I was frustrated, cold and hungry (prelude to my upcoming USN days I reckon), and heeded a passing friend's rec. to take a lunch break. So, I got up and on the way inside, glanced into the car to see.......... yeah...
    ... the emergency brake handle pulled up!
    I went on and ate a sammich, returned, let off the emerg. brake, whacked the drum with something that served as a hammer and it fell off in my lap of course.
    Tommy