Default Saturday coffee Sept 9

No balloon races here but we do have a bicycle race today - with a lot of streets blocked off. Had to do some serious zigging and zagging to make it home. Saw some "big time" bike racers unloading from trailers stuffed with bikes and assorted kit.

In our trip this morning I saw farmers cutting beans. Already? Well, I guess it is Sept. Irrigation canals are low now so corn harvest can't be far away. Must be fall.

No coffee yet - wifey's still snoring soundly. I had a slightly elevated temp last night which is better, but still a minor headache. Time to wrap up in a blankey and sleep it off! SW

Blog Entries

working the Hampton Gun show,

was eating some cheese at the condo last night and broke a damn crown
    fortunately it is a dead tooth, (had a root canal on it before the crown) so no pain,

just a PITA ,,,,

will call the dentist on Monday and get that fixed

That must have been some tough cheese!! SW

Working up to 2nd cup.
    Had quite a bit of wildfire smoke here the past week, which is always good for firing up the old migraine wheel with a boot on it.

Grouse opener was yesterday. Still a bit warm here for trail walking, so I ain't missing much.

Keh camera circus is coming this friday. Time to off-load what ever I can, and make some lens room around here.
    Did a series on 135mm lenses over the past couple of days, with little interest being shown in it, except by me.
    Daily bike average distance is holding pretty firm at 10-12 miles. I like riding the river walk. Water is still a bit murky from the rain we've had. Clarity will probably be much improved today, or tomorrow.

-Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Had a couple of good days fishing, limited out each day. Here is a picture of me filleting a pink for smoking.filetting.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ken The Kanuck View Post
    Had a couple of good days fishing, limited out each day. Here is a picture of me filleting a pink for smoking.
    Nice going!
    Do you leave the skin on for smoking?
    Decent supper ahead for you...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

You betcha about leaving the skin on, it does not stick to the rack so much that way and the skin is a treat for the pup. Sorry about the sideways picture.

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a picture of a spring (chinook) we also caught, not too sure what Americans call them. We seem to have different names for some of the salmon species. This one was around 20 lbs, and was a white spring rather than red.Spring.jpg

8. Default

Where we used to live the complex had exactly ONE exit to exactly ONE street.
    Guess which st runners & Cycle racers closed for half-marathons & road races every year.
    We really PO'd the Fire Police, (what or who's on fire?) one year when we simply drove cross country to the junction with a different road.

More signs of fall here - like trucks hauling beets to the sugar factory. Also a walnut harvest right here at home. We have a large black walnut tree in the front yard that's currently swarming with squills. I like to watch them chew the cover away before taking the nut across the street to bury in neighbors' yards. The big tree we used to have got smacked by lightning and we had it cut down before it split further and fell on the house. Tree rats planted walnuts from a tree down the street next to the stump - probably specifically for their own use.

I like the flavor, but getting actual walnut meat is a bit labor intensive. Gives the squills a little purpose in their lives, though! SW

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    More signs of fall here - like trucks hauling beets to the sugar factory. Also a walnut harvest right here at home. We have a large black walnut tree in the front yard that's currently swarming with squills. I like to watch them chew the cover away before taking the nut across the street to bury in neighbors' yards. The big tree we used to have got smacked by lightning and we had it cut down before it split further and fell on the house. Tree rats planted walnuts from a tree down the street next to the stump - probably specifically for their own use.

I like the flavor, but getting actual walnut meat is a bit labor intensive. Gives the squills a little purpose in their lives, though! SW
    There are Elm "nuts" all over the ground here, and the GBT's come early morn snuffling around in the grass for them- which causes a fair bit of consternation in the Red Fox squirrel community. A common sight around here is the tiny red squills driving off the much larger GBT's, which is actually sort of comical if you watch it long enough. They are quite screechingly vocal about it, too.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 09-11-2023 at 09:46.