Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

My cars are too new for me to 'work' on them. The only thing I carry in my cars is my cell phone ( to call a garage to pick up my car and a S&W 45 (concealed on me).

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    My cars are too new for me to 'work' on them. The only thing I carry in my cars is my cell phone ( to call a garage to pick up my car and a S&W 45 (concealed on me).
    If your car quits - shoot it. That'll teach it.

Most importantly, if you own a car make sure it is equipped with a trunk monkey.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qtG82HJB2I

I don't like Monkeys, so I certainly don't want one in my trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    I did use slime and I regret it. I bought an ATV and it came with it's OEM tires (whatever that stands for). It stands for junk. I probably had a half dozen holes in them and kept pouring slime in. When I finally woke up and ordered new heavy duty tires the guy at the shop told me, we hate slime, it's a mess to clean up.
    If you buy a new vehicle, especially a travel trailer or such, drive on the OEM's about three times and then get better tires. I know it's hard to believe but the dealers don't care what happens after it leaves the lot. That's why the first ten pages of the owners manual is about tires. There is some important stuff there, but there is- We told you.
    The tires I patched were on the bicycle and on the inside and some stuff outside involving the tube. My dad showed me how. I remember he would put glue on the inner tube and then light it on fire with his Zippo and then blew it out. Patch goes on. You left the cellophane on until it was time to install or if you were un-decided you left it on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    OEM = Original equipment manufacturer.

What your vehicle or whatever was equipped with when new. How it came from the factory.
    my 2007 dodge caliber came with Firestone OEM tires. i put 88k miles on them before needing to replace them and it wasnt because the tires were junk, its because i was working almost every single day of the years i had them and IF i had a day or two off, i certainly had other things to do around the house and family that took precedents over rotating the tires...

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    my 2007 dodge caliber came with Firestone OEM tires. i put 88k miles on them before needing to replace them and it wasnt because the tires were junk, its because i was working almost every single day of the years i had them and IF i had a day or two off, i certainly had other things to do around the house and family that took precedents over rotating the tires...
    You should only change front to rear on same side.
    Going to opposite side means it rotates in the opposite direction
    and shortens life of steel belted tires.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    my 93 Saturn SL2 came with Firestone Firehawk GTA's and they sucked, , as in sucked horribly,
    got more road noise and flats with that set of tires than any other brand on any other vehicle,

I replaced them with Falkens, quiet, sticky, and no more flats

Back in the 70's Firestone made some really dangerous tires (Firestone 500's). I had all 4 come apart within a couple of months.

Firestone has made some really good tires too. I bought a used car and the dealer had just put on a new set of Firestones. I remember thinking "oh great". They turned out to be some of the best tires I ever had so from then on I bought that specific make from Firestone until they stopped making them.

The way I drive now (25 miles a week) anything round will do.

All tire manf's have made good and bad tires. I remember when Sears first started selling radial tires. They were made by Michelin. You could drive by any Sears automotive store and see piles of exploded tires showing wads of steel. These were customer "complaints". I wouldn't buy Michelin for many years. Now, they are OK.

Michelin did make some crappy tires. I remember going to a tire shop run by a guy I sort of knew. He had Michelins on sale. He acted like he was doing me a special favor. "Their Michelins!" Like they were Marilyn Monroe or something. Didn't last anytime at all. The name doesn't matter, it's the ply and a couple other things that are stamped on the sidewall that matter. Yup, in the old days you crisscrossed the tires when rotating. Radials you don't.
    Well, since we're on the subject; I used to by BF Goodrich. I remember when they were $50/ tire. But, I only put about 10K miles on the truck a year. They never wore out, but the AZ sun would bake them til they cracked all over and basically were petrified. They they rode hard and made an awful racket. Now I buy cheap tires (less than $200 per these days) that I will toss away before they turn to rock.
    Last edited by dryheat; 09-11-2023 at 10:47.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

BF Goodrich does make good tires and you're right, they dryrot soon. The rubber compound tends to be soft which is good for traction but not good for long life.

My F-150 4x4 currently has a set. They will dryrot before wearing out even though the truck stays out of the sun under a carport. I will replace them with the same brand because they ride really smooth and don't make the racket that so many mud grip tires produce when driving on asphalt. They have become rather costly though.

That's only when they are fresh. Like you say, when they dryrot they become hard and cracked to the point they won't hold air even though the tread life may be good.

My farm truck, an old 1990 silverado with < 150K miles, I don't drive much so I will buy the "off brand" tires for it.

My wife's car has Michelins. It came with them new and she insist sticking with what works. Personally I don't like them. Perhaps to make a smoother ride the sidewalls are thin. This makes the tires sag a little and appear to be low on air but aren't. Otherwise it doesn't matter much. The car only leaves the yard about 3 times a month to make very short trips.
    Last edited by Allen; 09-11-2023 at 11:02.