Default Suppressor for a .22 LR AR-15 upper from CMMG in MO.

Ok, I am hearing it takes 2 years or more to get a application from the ATF.

That is in effect a 2nd Amendment infringement.

Any idea how to speed up the bureaucrats? Goodness sake. Over my lifetime I have had literally dozens of ATF and FBI background checks. Both for top secret accessibility and for buying class III weapon and afterwards transferring those to my son who in turn has also been through dozens of background checks.

The current administration has allowed hundreds of thousands of criminals and murderers to come here and pays for their upkeep!

What do you think?

Lyman will correct me if I'm wrong but I've always known suppressors to be class III and require a license.

Remember, you're trying to get a license from the Gestapo. A dealer close to me has a wall full of the suppressors for AR-15's. I would think a local dealer that wants to make a sale could help/advise you on how to expedite (if possible) the paperwork.

Supposedly there was a new faster procedure coming , but have head no more about it. You have to go through a dealer and fill out all the BATF forms and requirements. My son recently went through the procedure, and it took him around 18 months from start to when he could pick up his suppressor.

Then I couldn't tell any difference with or without the suppressor on his .22 pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Then I couldn't tell any difference with or without the suppressor on his .22 pistol.
    Standing next to it you won't. At a distance you probably will.

The problem with .22's the supersonic crack. Suppressors are useless for that.

We were firing subsonic ammo, and while there was no sonic crack the echo/noise was reflected back at us.

RED is speaking of an AR15. I don't know if the subsonic's will cycle the bolt in a semi-auto. Maybe in some guns.

I shoot CCI CB 22 shorts in bolt actions rifles and revolvers. They produce very little noise, are sub-sonic of course and are plenty powerful enough for pest control or what not.

Sometime when your son is shooting distance yourself some (like next door) and see if it makes a difference. It's usually neighbors who you don't want to hear the shot.
    Last edited by Allen; 09-07-2023 at 06:31.

Blog Entries

Red,

go thru Silencerco,
    find a LGS that has the do it all kiosk,

the last 4 supressors transfers I did for customers were right at 11 months, one was 10,

Thanks Lyman!

Allen: years ago I owned a registered, tax paid, H&R M-16A1. I had a kit that that replaced the bolt assemble and 4-5 30 round. It was BBBBZZZZ222 and the 30 rds were gone in 10 seconds!

It was amazing and at Hot Springs and Knob Creek, guys would pay $20 to shoot .22LR full auto.

But there was a penalty. The barrel on the .223 had a normal barrel twist of 9, the .22LR normally was 14-17 twist.

After two-three mags of .22, the barrel had become a musket! To scrub the lead out of the lands and grooves with brushes was a 2 hour job. Then I realized 2 -3 rounds of FMJ LC would do the job.

Now a .22LR with a 15 twist barrel has cured the leading problem and using a modern suppressor is no louder than dropping a fork on the floor!

I bought one of the .22 Conversion units that is referred to as the Air Force unit that has the white plastic magazine that is 30 round length, but only holds 10 rounds. It has been absolutely reliable with all ammunition I have fired through it, but my AR's are semi.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RED View Post
    Thanks Lyman!

Allen: years ago I owned a registered, tax paid, H&R M-16A1. I had a kit that that replaced the bolt assemble and 4-5 30 round. It was BBBBZZZZ222 and the 30 rds were gone in 10 seconds!

It was amazing and at Hot Springs and Knob Creek, guys would pay $20 to shoot .22LR full auto.

But there was a penalty. The barrel on the .223 had a normal barrel twist of 9, the .22LR normally was 14-17 twist.

After two-three mags of .22, the barrel had become a musket! To scrub the lead out of the lands and grooves with brushes was a 2 hour job. Then I realized 2 -3 rounds of FMJ LC would do the job.

Now a .22LR with a 15 twist barrel has cured the leading problem and using a modern suppressor is no louder than dropping a fork on the floor!
    My M-16 , with the 22 kit , will usually do a mag dump with the first round still not on the ground before the last round is ejected,

great fun, ,no recoil, and cheap,

loading the 30 round mags takes time, but worth it