Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Real Men don't buy electric cars ...

I like to hear my engine running. I can tell by it's
    sound how fast I'm going which means I don't have
    to peer down to check the speedo and risk rear ending
    someone. I would find it distinctly odd to cruise around
    in silence. No, a real man has to have an engine rather
    than a battery (which might burst into flame any minute).
    And, what's the good of a garage if you have to leave your
    EV outside in case it blows up ?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...Parent%20wrote.

I read where elec bicycles are popular in England. The article stated quite a few have exploded killing several riders. Then I found this article just in NYC.

https://www.foxnews.com/tech/how-e-b...killing-people.

"Over the last few years, e-bikes have killed at least 11 people and injured at least 251 in New York City alone, all from fires that sparked from malfunctioning lithium-ion battery-powered devices."

I've personally had 3 Apple laptop batteries swell (not explode) in my computer. A Tesla that got water damage from the hurricane in FL exploded and made a big fire about 2 days ago.

As stated before, even if I had a EV I wouldn't know where to charge it. There's nothing nearby. Home charging applications cost about $6000.

Not for me.

Electric car battery fires are so hard to put out, they have invented a special device that punches a hole under and them and then soaks them down with a lot of pressure from below. Even when they think they have it out they are set aside for a period of time to be sure. Plenty of cars that were "out" have ignited the next day.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Watch, "What's going on with shipping" on youtube. It's pretty nerdish but informative at times.
    He has a few that discusses a good sized car carrier that had a major fire. In a recent video, he shows some unloading. When an EV is carried out, it is dunked in a water tank, and starts smoking profusely. I'm not certain is if was still burning... after a MONTH... or re-ignited after exposure to that nefarious substance, water.

Here's a link, below:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOCSHMOf73Q

Tommy

All these burned EV's need to be piled up in DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    All these burned EV's need to be piled up in DC.
    No, in Delaware on Biden's lawn.

There's nothing like the 'growl' from a gas powered car/truck! Check out my avatar picture; now that baby growls and scoots! 2011 Callaway supercharged Gran Sport 600+HP
    Last edited by Major Tom; 09-07-2023 at 06:43.

Have drove gas, diesel, electric vehicles. Day in, day out for anything like normal routine driving, the electric is great. Acceleration out the wazzo, etc. If I'm towing, it'll be diesel if at all possible... gas second. For anything that involves long one way trips ... I like gas. Last two months, have done two +400 mile trips and one +600 mile. Convenient to hop in the car and just drive w/ no need to refuel. Same with truck or car. Normally do not have to do the long stuff. Now, seldom drive more than 80 miles a day, mostly much less. One car is at 144K, other is at 240K. Wife wants a SUV. We're retired. Probably going to do a hybrid since it will meet her interests for a SUV and our shared joint interests in a vehicle combining excellent long term usefulness and economy. If I again have to do some towing, whatever, then I'll find a diesel/electric hybrid. After all, it worked really well for submarines beginning way back from WWI-II forward. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

The question keeps coming up on EV's as to how much drain the a/c, defrost and heater take. No one has a definite answer on this.

A test was done on the new Ford F-150 lightning (elec version). They are advertised heavily on their range and their pulling capacity. The test was done on a elec Ford vs a gas GM pickup each pulling a large but empty utility trailer. When it came right down to it the Ford COULD pull the trailer but the range was cut to nothing (as in ridiculous).

10. Default

A friend bought a Tesla.
    He ran the air a lot, till one day he left the door open with it on during a brief (2~3 Minute)stop to pick something up.
    It "detected an A/C failure" & the car spend day after being towed to the dealer.
    He's since discovered after putting in a high cap 110v home charger that he can leave the air on & running all night when charging, so it doesn't have to do the "cooldown in the morning" helps with discharge.
    Last edited by Phloating Phlasher; 09-07-2023 at 12:50.