Thread: 1911 m2

Default 1922 m2

picked this one up recently. Any info? Stock has open SA and bolt has matching serial number. It was D & T https://imgur.com/a/LnGyWxC
    Last edited by 1563621; 09-01-2023 at 02:38.

Blog Entries

Your 1922M11 rifle, sn 6986, does not appear in my Springfield Research Service books. 1922M11 sn 6987 is listed and shown to have been shipped to a college. The Director of Civilian Marksmanship loaned the 1922 Series Springfield rifles to DCM affiliated clubs. The characteristics of these rifles were 1) Drilled and tapped for scope blocks on the receiver rings and centered on the barrel7.2" inches forward of the receiver holes. 2) In the NRA stock which had no grasping grooves and had a thick metal butt plate. 3) The receiver, trigger guard assembly and butt plate were blued. I am sure your rifle started out as a new item in that configuration. Rifles that remained in govt inventory were upgraded after 1935 with the M2 stock, M2 Bolt and M2 magazine. Most of these club issue rifles were modified into the M2 Issue Rifle configuration. When these rifles went through rebuild, an extra 1 was stamped after the model number and a B was added to the serial number. The new M2 bolt, like in your rifle, would have had the serial number of the rifle etched on the bottom of the bolt with some digits on either side of where the front and rear parts of the bolt meet. The P stamped in the stock and the boxed SA cartouche in the stock indicate the rifle went through rebuild. I am confident that is the history of your rifle.

Having the bolt numbered to the receiver indicate it was installed by Springfield Armory or one of the arsenals. About half of these rifles I see have mismatched bolts.

I trust this information will be informative to you.

Herschel
    Last edited by Herschel; 09-01-2023 at 09:19. Reason: addional comment

Thank You very much for the information.

4. Default

Actually Herschel I think this rifle likely started out as an issue 1922 M1. I would bet the butt plate is the standard issue coarse checked plate. The stock looks like an altered issue stock with the pronounced pistol grip shaved off ( note the high comb of the issue stock). Finally, that attempt at drilling and tapping looks like an amateur did it with ill spaced holes- not what you would expect from Springfield. I have seen the P on the pistol grip only on service rifles, though that is only my experience.