Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: This group is also DEAD

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I still check in here from time to time - this morning the icon said there were 124 people viewing! That's great, but where are the posters? No one has anything to say? No one has any questions? Nothing for show and tell? Very disappointing.
    364 people viewing (REALLY??) and not ONE of them has anything to say? Sad.

364 people viewing (REALLY??) and not ONE of them has anything to say? Sad.
    Yep, and out of that only a dozen or so are per se active.

I guess people are burning off. Weekends are traditionally slack but weekdays are slim now as well.

Dying interest I guess, though both KCA and John Spangler's save of Frasca's board are doing fairly well. Al's followers are just happy they can type in English and post pictures.

What gets me is the absence of fellowship. It doesn't have to be guns or politics. Folks here can chat about anything, but don't.

Then again there is the "site" problem that has caused some members to drop off due to not being able to log on, but just using a different computer or browser normally solves that issue.

Like you say though: "dying interest" is probably the best cause.

Upon further reflection, while the "old" groups seem to be fading, Facebook is flourishing. I moderate one of the TD groups there, and we get, on average 3-4 new join requests every single day - sometimes many more! Go figure. I'll be 87 this year and am seriously thinking about reducing my collection. I know I've said it before, but this time I'm afraid I mean it.

I was speaking of this forum in general but yeah, black powder and TD interest has been hit hard. The younger generations have their pot metal and plastic weapons to swoon over. The old Springfield TD's are over a hundred years old and considered just obsolete relics by many now I guess.

As far as steering those on Facebook to have an interest here it is a little more difficult to become a new member now thanks to the spammers and trolls. Before, anyone could register. Now, you have to be approved. This shouldn't be a big obstacle--just not instant membership like before.
    Last edited by Allen; 05-05-2024 at 09:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    I was speaking of this forum in general but yeah, black powder and TD interest has been hit hard. The younger generations have their pot metal and plastic weapons to swoon over. The old Springfield TD's are over a hundred years old and considered just obsolete relics by many now I guess.

As far as steering those on Facebook to have an interest here it is a little more difficult to become a new member now thanks to the spammers and trolls. Before, anyone could register. Now, you have to be approved. This shouldn't be a big obstacle--just not instant membership like before.

Bingo! I run a taut ship on FB. You MUST answer our brief questions (3) or it is no go. Have 16 wannabes backed up now. My postings on the matter have yet to generate a negative comment.

Blog Entries

Bingo! I run a taut ship on FB. You MUST answer our brief questions (3) or it is no go. Have 16 wannabes backed up now. My postings on the matter have yet to generate a negative comment.
    Dick,

which facebook group?

US Springfield Trapdoor Rifles, Springfield Trapdoors, plus (way too) many others involving Krags, American Flyer trains, Austin-Healeys, etc. ad nauseam .
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 05-06-2024 at 04:07.

I was once in that group on Facebook. I left Facebook back before covid and the only thing I miss is the trapdoor group
    Last edited by Carlsr; 05-16-2024 at 02:53.