Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Smile New to Me Garand

Hey, I just got a M1 Garand from a 91 friend. No papers on it but a nice M1. I checked out this gun as he was selling the collection and it was a Win -13. I had not heard of them before and he had not ether. I told him what he had so someone would not low ball him. He offered the Win-13 to me as well as Winchester M1 Carbine. I am very very happy. The Win -13 seems to be all Winchester, barrel, trigger group, op rod, sights, gas cyl, ect. The only thing I can find not Win. is the stock is IHC. Nice stock but not right. Will any war time Win. stock be ok on the gun. Thanks for any help.
    Best regards.

The serial number will tell when it was made and then who was the inspector at that time period. They put their initials on the left side of the stock.

The ser# is 16025219. My question is, What Winchester stock do I need or will any Win. stock do. Right now it has a IHC stock. Thanks for any information.

A 16 million serno must be a very late Winchester

I believe the "Win 13" rifles date to February 1945.

Thank you Johnny for the information. Would any WRA GHD stock be right for this Win-13. All parts are Winchester but the stock is IHC. Thanks again.

Your Winchester was made about March-February 1945. GHD was the inspector, his stamp will be on the left side of stock below rear sight and WRA is above GHD. Winchester stocks have a V shaped cutout at rear of of trigger guard inletting, The proof stamp (P) in higher on the grip.
    I found this info on the M14 Forum under 'Bill Ricca' section in forums listing.
    Last edited by Major Tom; 08-31-2023 at 04:18.

Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Thank you Johnny for the information. Would any WRA GHD stock be right for this Win-13. All parts are Winchester but the stock is IHC. Thanks again.
    Yes. Brig. General Guy H. Drewry was still the officer in charge of the Springfield Ordnance District when your rifle was produced. His initials are also on the Colt 1911A1 pistols produced at the same time. He commanded the Springfield Ordnance District until July of 1945.

Thanks every one very much for the information. Now if I can find a stock and not give a arm and leg.
    Best regards.

Quote Originally Posted by smoky View Post
    Thanks every one very much for the information. Now if I can find a stock and not give a arm and leg.
    Best regards.
    Be prepared. You WILL give a arm and a leg, especially for a decent one.