Default 1859 Sharps Carbine coversion

I got an 1859 Sharps Carbine with the .50-70 conversion. Found many years ago in an attic then hung on a wall for who know how long. when I got it it was in sad condition with lots of surface rust and couldn't see rifling in the barrel. The hammer wouldn't cock, almost all the screws were pretty much frozen. So took my time cleaning and working on the rust using penetrating oil and fine steel wool. got the screws loose without messing them up and got the lock off and found a piece of something not letting the hammer cock. Next the bore, a couple of weeks scrubbing and now I got rifling but with some pitting in the bore for about the first 5 inches.
    She looks much better now and functions like she should.
    Serial number,58902, puts it approx 1861 I think. Got some empty brass and .515 bullets so going to load up a few with 2F and see how it does.
    Anyone got any idea on if and where it might have been issued? And maybe an SRS hit...Will try to upload pictures in a day or two.

Thanks,
    Jim

I have one also . . . .
    Can you tell if yours has a liner in the original barrel? (Mine does)
    When these were converted to 50/70 from the “52 linen” cartridge, those barrels that were a tad undersized were left alone (only rechambered to 50/70)
    Those barrels that gaged too big in diameter were lined with the correct diameter liner.
    I’m of the opinion that lined barrels have the potential to shoot a tad more accurately.

58708 020264 CO H 6TH NY VOL CAV

58911 020264 CO H 6TH NY VOL CAV

Several in that serial number range went to the 6th NY Vol. Cav.

thanks for that info on close serial numbers...and yes mine has the relined barrel to .50-70. Also I got the dies in the mail so loaded up the 10 cases I have(Dixie head stamped) with a 450 gr .515 dia bullet and 50 grains of 2f Goex.

IMG_0869.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was just going to ask you for some pics . . . you beat me to it!

That cartouche on the side of the stock are the letters ?DFC?, enclosed within a ribbon. (inspector?s initials)

When you shoot it, be prepared for it to shoot high . . . .VERY HIGH!

I?ve taken to using a plain white sheet of paper ABOVE the standard 100 yd. Smallbore bullseye target . . .shot at 50 yards.

I aim at 6 o?clock, getting a group well ABOVE the bull, on the white sheet!

As I?m a ?group shooter?, I don?t really care about the ?point of aim vs. the point of impact?.

Nice tight groups are what I want.

Unfortunately the front sight insert was missing, so I made one a bit tall on purpose out of a half euro coin. I'll be able to file it down to where it will zero at 100 yards hopefully. With the ladder folded down.
    Rear sight is missing the ladder, but found a complete one that I traded for.
    Yes there is a DFC in a box on the left side of the stock.
    Again I'm really surprised as to how well this is cleaning up.

Jim

Yeah . . . .they are in great condition . . . .

My bore is like brand new . . . .carbine shoots great!

Seems like most of these 50/70?s have good bores . . . .

My 50/70?s include this Sharps, a Remington Rolling block N. Y. State Militia model, Springfield U.S.N. Model 1870 rolling block, and a Springfield 1870 Trapdoor.

Have fun with yours!