Thread: Carbine ammo

Default Carbine ammo

Received a flyer yesterday and happened to see 30 Carbine ammo on sale. The add was incorrect. It listed 20 rounds for $79.99. I figured that had to be an error so I went on line to check it out. Sure enough, online it listed 50 rounds for $79.99. Never thought I would see it to be that expensive. It was in a Remington listing of ammo for sale.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Makes me smile . . . . . .

I load carbine ammo (using my cast lead bullets) for 60 CENTS for 50 rounds . . . . .

Lemmie’ see . . . .$80 vs. 60 cents= “Winner Winner!-Chicken Dinner!!”

I’m working off a stash of components I bought many, many years ago.
    Last edited by JimF; 08-08-2023 at 09:51.

Never shot any, but have always heard that firing lead bullets in the M1 Carbine would lead to gas piston problems. Story goes every bullet that goes by the gas port leaves a tiny shaving of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Never shot any, but have always heard that firing lead bullets in the M1 Carbine would lead to gas piston problems. Story goes every bullet that goes by the gas port leaves a tiny shaving of lead.
    This is true . . . .
    Hence my very attentive cleaning regimen after a range session.

I have shot thousands of Lyman #311359, 115 gr. bullets in my carbines over the years without a gas port clogging problem. They were cast out of straight linotype and lubed with the old Javalina lube. They were sized to .308 diameter and required a gas check. Maybe that made the difference.
    J.J.

What makes a difference is how jagged the gas port hole is. Ideally the gas port hole should be drilled first before the bore is rifled. In all probability that may not be possible.

What I encountered with my Universal Carbine was the piston froze up. After removing the piston to clean it I found what locked it up was shreds of copper in the cylinder from the copper jacketed bullets. I never shot lead bullets in it but if I had the problem would have occurred sooner since lead is softer.

When the gas port hole was drilled (last) quite a burr was made in the bore when the bit pushed through. I know GI carbines don't have this problem so bad but some may be worse than others explaining why some can shoot lead bullets and some have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
    I have shot thousands of Lyman #311359, 115 gr. bullets in my carbines over the years without a gas port clogging problem. They were cast out of straight linotype and lubed with the old Javalina lube. They were sized to .308 diameter and required a gas check. Maybe that made the difference.
    J.J.
    Maybe, JJ . . . .
    That’s the same bullet I use.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Maybe, JJ . . . .
    That?s the same bullet I use.
    No maybe's...JJ is absolutely , positively right as rain. Size that cast bullet right, use hard alloy and lube with carnuba red hard lube, there is no issue of leading. Gas check further makes sure no issue of leading up gas system.

He's right , the problem is who is casting and what they use .

Cast bullets....barrels last forever by the way.
    Last edited by BlitzKrieg; 08-10-2023 at 06:12.

G.I. carbine barrels were rifled after the gas port hole was drilled and reamed. If you see a carbine barrel with a burr around the port hole it's a safe bet that Bubba has been at it. Even reaming after drilling would still leave a burr around the gas port hole, although it would be smaller. Back in the 60's I saw a lot of new G.I. barrels (hundreds0 and I never saw one with a burr around the hole.
    J.J.

Quote Originally Posted by J.J. View Post
    G.I. carbine barrels were rifled after the gas port hole was drilled and reamed. If you see a carbine barrel with a burr around the port hole it's a safe bet that Bubba has been at it. Even reaming after drilling would still leave a burr around the gas port hole, although it would be smaller. Back in the 60's I saw a lot of new G.I. barrels (hundreds0 and I never saw one with a burr around the hole.
    J.J.
    Thanks. I figured as much since GI barrels didn't have the burr problem that Universal (others too) but didn't know for sure.