Default Cleaning an IMA Nepal "yak fat special?"

I've got the itch to try another one. I did 5 or 6 several years ago... still have 3 of them: 2 Sniders and a Gahendra. I see now they have 1837 Brunswicks on sale with free shipping.

I'm up to speed with cleaning the metal - spray oven cleaner or a strong solvent to remove the yak fat. Any suggestions for getting accumulated crud off the stock? Norm Sutton used to be the yak fat cleaning guru, but I can't find his articles anywhere. I *think* he used Ace Hardware paint stripper on the wood, but can't locate confirmation.

ETA: I got in the backdoor of British Military firearms and found an article on cleaning the stock. Norm did use paint stripper - others tried a wide variety of solvents, including straight lye. I have a supply of lye on hand for plugged drains but am leery of using it on wood. SW
    Last edited by 5thDragoons; 08-06-2023 at 04:59.

2. Default

I'm a huge fan of Murphy's oil soap. Its a lot kinder to the wood than things like oven cleaner.

Just picked up a uberti walker 44. have some triple 7 in 2f be could powder for the 44?

4. Default

Yeah try 32~35 Gr for starters. 777 is a bit more oomph than Holy black

Thanks, just ordered a starter kit.

I used boiling water to clean cosmoline off old military firearms. That will take anything off and dries fast, no rusting.
    Last edited by Major Tom; 08-11-2023 at 01:54.

7. Default

Ah yes, the slippery slope!

That's half the fun! All the whack-a-doodle accoutrements you'll be collecting!
    What I thought I needed:
    accoutrements 1.jpg

What I ended up with:
    accoutrements 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Phloating Phlasher View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Murphy's oil soap. Its a lot kinder to the wood than things like oven cleaner.
    I would agree with you. Long ago, I blackened one stock with oven cleaner left too long. Nowadays, I try hot water, Murphy's Oil Soap, Simple Green before considering stronger solvents/caustics.
    Tommy