Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas prices?

Default Gas prices?

Any particular reason they jumped so fast? Like 40 cents/gallon in 2 days here. Arabs not playing the game Biden wants? Biden is playing a game - Arabs or not? Oil companies wanting windfall profits?

Dammit, we HAVE oil, but it's not being pumped! When I was still railroading, I saw all the new wells being drilled and old wells fracked to produce again in eastern Wyo. Two new multi-million trans-shipment rail facilities were built to move all that oil. A lot of it was shipped to Texas ports where Chinese refinery ships processed it on the way back to China. But Russian oil is way cheap now, so they don't need it.

Here's hoping people recall that next November! SW

Part of the reason for the cost is the formulation of "summer gasoline." It isn't all of it obviously and you're right, Biden is playing a game. For political reasons they can't get elected and have the price of gasoline where they really want it...$5.00 - $6.00 a gallon at a minimum. I hope people do remember in November but I'm only moderately optimistic about that. The best chance we have, whether he's the candidate or not, is people seeing through the effort by the Biden administration and its Justice Department to dirty Trump up. He's still running even with Biden despite the trumped up (no pun intended) crap indictments they're rolling out against him. Usually right after something new and negative hits the Bidens.

What happened to the legal principle that we investigate crimes and not people .
    Last edited by Art; 08-04-2023 at 06:02.

Blog Entries

The new hi '$$ gas is still on the water, so why is the gas at the pump, already paid for, reflecting the "New $$?"

Blog Entries

when I was in the grocery biz, we sold gas, and priced on 2 factors, Cost and most importantly, competition,

one of us had to drive a loop 2x's a day and check prices on 5 or 6 other sellers in our immediate area, and then report it to corporate, and adjust according to the policy of the week,

if wholesale rose a significant amount, then we would bump it up and hope the others (that price checked us) did the same,
    it wholesale dropped we just rode the tide out and lowered slowly ,, like all did,

I ran 4 stores with fuel stations, avg over 60K gallons a week,, one was over 100K gallon at peak times (travel holidays etc), ,
    we got deliveries 2-3 times a day, sometimes 4 times,

I remember the "Gas Wars" in LA during the early sixties: 31 cents a gallon of regular
    The good old days before the rot started.

Blog Entries

Mid 1950s, in Oklahoma City, I remember riding my bike to the barbershop. The road made a Y and the barbershop was on the end of the road looking into the Y. There were 2 gas stations on either side of the junction. While getting my haircut I watched a price war go back and forth from 19 cents to 13 cents a gallon. One would change then the other would better it by a penny.

As a teenager, I could put $1 worth of a "Tiger in my tank" ESSO gasoline for a Fri night date, and still have gas left over the next day. A $1 would almost get 1/4 tank in my dad's '53 Ford Fairlane.
    Last edited by PWC; 08-07-2023 at 09:06.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    The new hi '$$ gas is still on the water, so why is the gas at the pump, already paid for, reflecting the "New $$?"
    GREED!. . . .Pure ‘n simple!

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    . . . .As a teenager, I could put $1 worth of a "Tiger in my tank" ESSO gasoline for a Fri night date, and still have gas left over the next day. A $1 would almost get 1/4 tank in my dad's '53 Ford Fairlane.
    Cheapest gas in late 1950’s I remember was Pepco . . . .at .25 cents per gallon.

After a fill up, I was given coupons (so many coupons per gallon pumped) for future fills!

Sometimes after collecting quite a few coupons, I could fill up for FREE (using the coupons).

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Cheapest gas in late 1950’s I remember was Pepco . . . .at .25 cents per gallon.

After a fill up, I was given coupons (so many coupons per gallon pumped) for future fills!

Sometimes after collecting quite a few coupons, I could fill up for FREE (using the coupons).
    Is that the same as Pepco the electric utility company??

I have no idea.

This all happened in Norwalk, Connecticut, in the very late 1950’s/early 60’s.
    Last edited by JimF; 08-08-2023 at 08:43.