Default Officer's mess hall 2nd field force long bien

During 1966-67, I was first cook, then later in charge of the officer's mess hall mess hall. It was right besides the open air amphitheater.
    Usually serving 60 officers per meal. About once a month a Special Forces captain would show up at the back door wanting extra rations for his troops. He would trade captured weapons. We'd give him anything he wanted, but he was really thankful when we gave him steaks and eggs. We had an over abundance of each. All the weapons were communist including full auto. We, in turn sold them to other troops wanting souveniers, especially officers. I kept a M2 30 caliber carbine and fired it quite often into the surrounding jungle. I was probably the only SP4 first cook and later mess hall sargent (still SP4). The company CO wanted me to take the test for promotion, but I always refused. I wasn't interested in a career there. The mess hall was eventually run by a Warrant Officer.

2. Default

Saluting the only Viet Nam Vet who was a cook and did his duty. Rest of the cooks are the guys at the bar or VFW snorting war stories of being Green Berets and any manner of daring and high jinks.

To read this from a cook, a soldier that saluted, did his duty and cooks have long hours, and writes today of his service is great . Proud for him and of GI's like him that did what they were asked to do and did it well.

Of note, while that SF guy might have done the horse trading with this cook at Long Binh, the 73 Vietnamese Ranger Battalion 3/4 ton was out front of Bien Hoa Air Base Officers Club many times selling SKS's and NVA gear to pilots at high dollar. I was master of ceremonies on this Lets Make A Deal and the money gained all went to help families of our Rangers killed and had widows & kids left behind. Had I known about a Mess Hall trading chow, I'd have been a regular at Long Binh's mess halls.
    Last edited by BlitzKrieg; 08-10-2023 at 12:31.

BlitzKrieg, thanks for the kind words. Thank you for your service! My forum moniker 'Major Tom' may make other members here think I was an officer. No Way! Just a tune I often heard on the radio.

Blog Entries

I always had great respect for the cooks. I was in the USAF but whenever I had the chance, I ate breakfast or midnight chow with the Army because they knew how to make SOS. Years ago in GE, I bought a book "Chow". It is a history of military cooks from 1776 up to VN. Lots of pics too
    How they improvised kitchens in the field and recipes for hundreds of people also broken down for family size. I can't do SOS as good, but I do make good white gravy.
    Last edited by PWC; 08-11-2023 at 08:25.

PWC, you mentioned a book called "Chow". I would like to buy a copy and need to know the author's name and correct title. Thank you

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    PWC, you mentioned a book called "Chow". I would like to buy a copy and need to know the author's name and correct title. Thank you
    "CHOW A Cooks Tour Of Military Food" by Paul Dickson.

Hope you enjoy reading it as much as my wife and I do.

Thank you very much PWC