Default Attempting to determine value of M70 Target rifle

I have a nice original Winchester M70 Target rifle that was manufactured around 1947. Excellent bore and headspace.
    This came out of an auction years ago, it was a US Navy Team Rifle, there were 12 rifles all together in a lot.
    All the rifles were in excellent condition and were sold through a gunshop.

I am looking for a price range for resale rifle only not the scope.

Any help would be appreciated RSDSCN0442.jpgDSCN0444.jpgDSCN0451.jpgDSCN0453.jpgDSCN0459.jpg

Blog Entries

do you have any paperwork or factory letter to show that it was a Team Rifle?

Tried SRS but no luck, a factory letter from Winchester might help. No US or other markings all rifles
    appear to be from the same time period. The rifles were sold on auction from Great Lakes and purchased
    from Shaw's gunshop near by the base. Bill of sale from gunshop but nothing to prove navy ownership

Blog Entries

do a factory letter, if it does show US ownership the value goes up

I have been advised by an advanced Winchester collector that the value of the M70 target rifle is $1500.00 and the Lyman scope is $500.00. Having
    any US Navy proof will add something but still a team rifle. Model 70 collectors are not really into the target variations except for the "bull" guns in
    300 H&H mag - and those have to be in nice condition. Will continue research

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    I have been advised by an advanced Winchester collector that the value of the M70 target rifle is $1500.00 and the Lyman scope is $500.00. Having
    any US Navy proof will add something but still a team rifle. Model 70 collectors are not really into the target variations except for the "bull" guns in
    300 H&H mag - and those have to be in nice condition. Will continue research
    Seems a bit low for the scope, and the rifle as well.
    It may be worthwhile financially to do a bit of further digging.
    Been a while since I've seen that red finish on walnut.
    Good luck with it!

Regadrs,

Doc Sharptail

Blog Entries

Lyman's are not prized like a Unertl,

however, according to a Service Rifle guy I knew that went Smallbore, the Lyman's were lighter than the Unertl's and favored by Smallbore guys,

and yes, that seems cheap,

ebay is a good source to use for pricing, but remember that out of season prices drop,

another source

http://unertl.alexweb.net/for_sale.htm

Actually, it was not my plan to sell the Lyman scope as I have other rifles that can use this scope. Just the rifle.

Over the years i have known a few M70 collectors and they all specialized in certain variations. Mr Mitchell from the Chicago area, a Korean War Veteran,
    only collected M70's in 375 H&H. My former boss, only collected the deluxe super grade pre 64 rifles, some being pre WW2. But never knew anyone who
    was interested in the target models. Target and match shooters tend to modify their rifles - add different sights, alter the stock and even change barrels,
    and my M70 is about as original as you can find for the time period - but lacks the interest of the M70 collector

The late magazine writer, Ken Waters of handloading fame, had in his collection, a Model 70 Target rifle with a FACTORY CHECKERED “MARKSMAN” STOCK!

I got a chance to actually hold it in my hands at his New Canaan, Ct. home!

Dunno’ where it is now!