Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default

I'm not so sure about the distribution of Cajun food.
    I have friends living 70 miles West & a little South of NOLA & they are the epicenter for all the Cajun food I've been introduced to.

Blog Entries

wrote up little cookbooks for troops in the field --

And I still have my little green cookbook
    Last edited by PWC; 07-31-2023 at 03:16.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    wrote up little cookbooks for troops in the field --

And I still have my little green cookbook
    Hang on to it -- it's valuable!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    Hang on to it -- it's valuable!
    To whom? Only in memories.....

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    To whom? Only in memories.....
    Have you tried to buy one lately?

Here’s a cool story. Most of you guys know what “jumbo” is. The name refers to the size of a roll of bologna that was a common lunch meat for many years. A 4” wide roll was regular bologna and anything that exceeded that width was called jumbo.

During WW2, the steel mills around Pittsburgh were working continuously cranking out record amounts of steel for ships, tanks, etc. for the war. The company back then was J&L Steel. They discouraged the steel workers from leaving the mill for lunch so they set up canteens throughout the mill to serve good meals at really reasonable prices. The blast furnace area didn’t have room for a canteen. Somehow, a guy named the “Greek” was allowed to operate his little lunch business inside the mill out of a simple lean-to shed for the blast furnace workers. He served one item only. You guessed it - jumbo 8” wide bologna about 1/2 - 3/4” thick fried to a crisp in big cast iron frying pans, served between two big slices of Italian bread. He cooked with hot plates and had a big cooler full of quarts of milk or ice tea. He’d sell you a huge sandwich and a quart of ice tea for a couple bucks. I used to service electrical equipment in the blast furnace power house and I still remember how good that sandwich tasted in the 1970s without any mayo, etc. and how I struggled to finish one due to the size. Ah, the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    8” wide bologna about 1/2 - 3/4” thick fried to a crisp in big cast iron frying pans, served between two big slices of Italian bread.
    I've done that myself but added an equally thick slice of cedar cheese. Like you said, nothing else, no mayo, etc.

Grocery store deli's will slice meats and cheese to any thickness you want.

Blog Entries

yum,

a fried bologna sandwich, 1/4 inch or more thick, a slice or 2 of whatever cheese , fried onions and mayo, on white bread or a hamburger bun,,,

damn good eatz