Default EGO electric lawnmower

My old and trusty Husqvarna lawnmower is starting to nickel and dime me with repairs. So, I'm thinking of buying an EGO self propelled with the 56 volt battery. I looked at them at Lowes and they are loaded with neat features, but MAN are they heavy! I know I couldn't lift it like my Husky.
    Does anyone own one of the EGOs and what do you like and dislike about it? Price here at Lowes is $549.00

I'm not recommending anything because I don't know but have you compared the EGO to the WalMart Hart brand? I think the Hart only goes to 40v but has self propelled models and brushless motors. Also cost about 1/2 to 2/3 as much. Some are stocked in the stores. Some, you have to order. View on-line.

As far as weight goes removing and lifting the batt separately may help some.

Battery tech has come a long way. I have batt tools now that I wouldn't have thought of 5 years ago. So far a 20v sprayer, blower and line trimmer, 18v drill, 1/2" impact and recip saw. I would own more but have a lot of gas equipment.

3. Default

My cynical opinion is all cordless crap should be free because you end up buying so many batteries over the lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    My cynical opinion is all cordless crap should be free because you end up buying so many batteries over the lifetime.
    True but gas equipment cost $ to operate too. I just paid $120 to have my carb cleaned out on my little 5hp shredder/chipper. Some batteries are coming down in price. Some aren't but if you buy name brand stuff like DeWalt or Old Milwaukie 3rd party companies are making lower cost batts for them.

Gas tools are still needed for the larger jobs but I've found with my 20v line trimmer for instance so many times there's just a small area I need to cut but don't want to go the hassle of starting my gas trimmer. I simply pick up my super light batt trimmer pull the trigger and cut.

Since I bought the 20v trimmer I put a steel blade on the gas trimmer. I can really clear out some stuff with that plus it still cuts grass as well.

Blog Entries

I can reach everything on my property with my corded equipment. Works every time I throw the switch. No gas or oil or pull cord. Using a whip many years ago taught me how to keep the cord out of the way. All my corded equipment is years old, works fine all day long, never runs down.
    Last edited by PWC; 07-21-2023 at 03:10.

I've got an ego hedge trimmer and string trimmer. they are handy because you just grab and go but the batteries don't last long and you're waiting to finish the job. still have my gas equipment for the bigger jobs. you can buy new carbs for 10 to 16 dollars and replace them yourself. watch a you-tube video for set up and you're good to go

I got rid of all the gas tools. I live in a hot desert. If you don't keep them inside on a nice soft cushy pillow the gas turns to shellack(spray the carb with starter fluid and eventually it starts). SeaFoam keeps the gas in the tank safe...I guess. I use it and haven't had a problem, except it seems to smoke a little.
    I have a half acre yard; I have a swimming pool; I drag the cord out and put a brick on it so it stays out of the pool. Sketchy.
    I've seen battery operated tools do great stuff. I need to get a bat powered reciprocating saw. I used to have a generator and could take tools anywhere I wanted but again, the carb would shellack up and it was a chore. I don't use power tools every day like real builders. A**holes who cut down 150 yr. old trees (that are the only one in a fifty sq. miles) shouldn't have power tools. I know, it's covered by the second amendment.
    Last edited by dryheat; 07-21-2023 at 09:08.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

The main turning point on batt tools is the availability of lithium batteries. They hold a charge & last way longer than the ni-cad and ni-hydride batteries. Also, they don't cause the tool to slow down/weaken as the power diminishes. When the charge is gone the tool stops.

I just wish all the batteries interchanged: All 18v, all 20v, all 24v, all 40v and so on. Since they don't it's best to buy one brand so you can use the same battery on different tools.