Default Lyman 48S Sight - Repair Guidance?

I have acquired a decent Lyman 48S 03A3 sight - but some issues as shown below - and both (I assume) that the sight be taken apart to fix. While the base and the slide do not have matching ID marks - they seem to fit together just fine! Any guidance or insight appreciated

1. the elevation clicks are MUSHY. I am sure it is just gunk - and needs cleaning.
    2. The windage knob appears to have had the screw stripped out and replaced with a brass screw or rod that is not well. Again - needs disassembly to fix. How do I get that brass "thing" or of there? I have bought parts/pieces of similar sight to replace the knob (57S I think).
    3. The face of the slide is considerably pitted - is that from corrosive primers and lackadaisical cleaning?

Mike McDonald
    Leavenworth, KS

lyman 1r.jpg

lyman 2r.jpg

lyman 3r.jpg

Blog Entries

#1, you are likely right, just dirt and grease in the components,
    be careful, you may want to take it apart in a big zippy bag to make sure a spring or detent does not vacate the area

#2 small drill bit and a small easy out

#3, corrosive primers, not likely, just likely poor storage or not giving it a good wipe down after use,

3. Default

Suggest you make this your ?parts sight ? and find a nicer, matching sight,

Thanks! Pretty sure that's where I'll end up, this is more like an educational opportunity. Mike