Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

The old DCM was changed to CMP in 1996.

2. Default

ok , were any M14 sold under the DCM ??

Blog Entries

none that I am aware of

None sold by dcm/cmp. Though trw did make a few semiautomatic only "NM" m14s that a few made way to hands of civilians. Last one I saw sold went for $$$
    Last edited by Embalmer; 07-11-2023 at 07:03.

The "will the government ever release M14 rifles come up for public sale" comes up periodically.

My understanding is there are less than 100 of the national match semi automatic M14s in civilian hands. I can't imagine any more will ever be released. The M14 is not obsolete in US service and is still being issued by the military and I suspect will continue to be, despite their gradual replacement in the Designated Marksman roll by AR platform rifles. I think they will be used until they are "expended," that is ragged out beyond repair.

The M14 falls under the BATFE's "once a machine gun always a machine gun" rule. That alone makes them unsaleable regardless of how they're modified to be semi automatic only.

I've learned the hard way never to say "never" though. I once said there would never be an immigration amnesty. I also said a man would never be able to legally marry another man. Just don't hold your breath.
    Last edited by Art; 07-11-2023 at 09:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Would be easier to just grind off the small lug on the bottom of the receiver to that of an M1A receiver. 1/8" x 5/8". I've heard that's what Canada did with surplus M14's.

BATF wouldnt allow that though because to them, "once a machine gun, always a machine gun"

- - - Updated - - -

in our little 100yd walk and paste league we had the local Border Patrol Lt borrow an M14 and ammo, from the station, to come shoot. i dont think he could hit the broad side of a barn from the inside...

anyway he would come out and open the case on the benches and then take his wallet out with his badge and put it 'flush and grounded' to the edge of the bench 'JUST SO'... not so much to let people know he's allowed to have a select fire rifle but to SHOW hes a Lt and is using a select fire rifle...

he got moved, not by request and a HS friend of mine who transferred home decided he wanted to shoot one in the league. he went through all 11 of them (i think that was the number) and he found that the Lt had brought a different one out each time, fired it and then put it away dirty. he scrubbed them all down and used just one for the season. he wanted to shoot Expert since he had done so with the M16 while in the 82nd...

Blog Entries

when I started service rifle, several guys were still using the M14\M1A and doing well, but all eventually switched over to the AR,
    the few State guns were about worn out, (for a Distinguished or High Master ) but probably would have served an Expert or lower well for another season or 2,

I shot my M1A, converted to NFA back in 86. a couple times, but since i started on the AR, it was a big learning curve that I did not need to do,
    however I did shoot Garand Matches for a few years and did well,

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    BATF wouldnt allow that though because to them, "once a machine gun, always a machine gun"
    Yeah I know, simply because of the M14 stamp. The same goes for the M2 carbine. Silly. All a person would have to do is weld the small tab onto any M1A receiver that houses the selector parts if they wanted a full auto version. Illegal of course, but that is another issue.

It's just another excuse for the gov't to destroy our guns, most of which met their fate with "captain crunch".

Reagan wanted to do away with the BATF and reassign them as border patrol agents where they could possibly be of some use.

9. Default

I do know that years ago, either the DCM or ODCMP sold an M14 parts kit as I bought one. Of course, there was no receiver or selector parts. Maybe even some other parts. But this was a parts kit only.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guns View Post
    I do know that years ago, either the DCM or ODCMP sold an M14 parts kit as I bought one. Of course, there was no receiver or selector parts. Maybe even some other parts. But this was a parts kit only.
    I bought a bunch of kits from CMP when Orest was in place. No bolt, barrel or receiver. Sure was nice to have them. Whatta Hobby!