Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Titanic mission

So, climbing too high and diving too deep is dangerous. I figure, some of these folks aren't happy and need something large. Well, who is happy? Just one more hit, or if you have the funds..
    Diving deep and dying represents people who have big ideas and base their belief in the success of human development. Or, just bad decisions. Hey, we're only here for a short while.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    So, climbing too high and diving too deep is dangerous. I figure, some of these folks aren't happy and need something large. Well, who is happy? Just one more hit, or if you have the funds..
    Diving deep and dying represents people who have big ideas and base their belief in the success of human development. Or, just bad decisions. Hey, we're only here for a short while.
    These situations are already dangerous. Climbing too high represents thin air and extreme cold along with walking/climbing on steep and often slick rocks and ice.

As for the Titanic dive, they went 2 1/2 miles deep in a plastic boat whereas a multi-million dollar engineered steel sub can only withstand about 1000'.

Some places man shouldn't travel or even try but if the desire is there they should make better preparations.

Instead of learning by mistakes of others it's more of a "monkey see, monkey do".

Yes, just because one guy got away with it, doesn't mean it will work time after time. Never buy a new product that is 1.0- Especially if it involves drowning and being blown to pieces.
    I guess there's worse ways to go.

Experimental Aircraft: was there ever a title that should raise the hairs a little?
    I hope this works. Oh ****.
    Last edited by dryheat; 06-26-2023 at 12:16.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Experimental Aircraft: was there ever a title that should raise the hairs a little?
    I hope this works. Oh ****.
    Right, but as flaws developed changes were made.

Everyone that was interviewed that previously took a trip in the toy sub feared for their lives not only because of the danger of the voyage but because of what they were in and the short cuts the management was making.

5. Default

Mountain climbing seems to be the more dangerous of either going up as far as you can or down as far as you can.

“But when I say our sport is a hazardous one, I do not mean that when we climb mountains there is a large chance that we shall be killed, but that we are surrounded by dangers which will kill us if we let them.”

- George Mallory, 1924

No one knows exactly how many bodies remain on Mount Everest today, but there are certainly more than 200. Climbers and Sherpas lie tucked into crevasses, buried under avalanche snow and exposed on catchment basin slopes – their limbs sun-bleached and distorted. Most are concealed from view, but some are familiar fixtures on the route to Everest’s summit.

Perhaps most well-known of all are the remains of Tsewang Paljor, a young Indian climber who lost his life in the infamous 1996 blizzard. For nearly 20 years, Paljor’s body – popularly known as Green Boots, for the neon footwear he was wearing when he died – has rested near the summit of Everest’s north side. When snow cover is light, climbers have had to step over Paljor’s extended legs on their way to and from the peak.

6. Default

I've done some adventurous stuff over the years, Caving, including night & deep + wreck & Cave Diving, what nowadays would be called "extreme" camping & hiking & gliding/flying, using explosives & shooting.
    I found that overwhelmingly the people doing these things were the most cautious, careful & safety oriented of any others I know.
    The problem is the know little (who think they know everything) "cowboys" who actively court the danger. Remember "Xtreme Sports"? I was introduced to one of the competitors, he was PROUD of "having the body of a 60 year old" because of all the broken bones & other injuries he'd sustained. he was in his mid 20's!
    I think evolution has restarted & its weeding out the low hanging fruit.

382 or so. I met a guy like that once. He got peoples attention. The first gen X or whatever tattoos I'd seen. He had a couple of teeth knocked out. Space alien tattoos. Well, it wasnt a spider web on the elbow. He was dating the department generals daughter. That's what I heard. Anyway, when asked about his appearance and dental disorders he said, that's what you've got to do. That's a wild and crazy family. How did the kid turn out? I don't know. Hope he lassoed himself and took a break before the next move.
    Last edited by dryheat; 06-28-2023 at 01:19.

8. Default

I just don't get the same "Warm Fuzzies" from a home made jury rigged, using expired materials, & components way beyond their design limits Hand made submersible, that I do from a nice hand-made suit!

Quote Originally Posted by Phloating Phlasher View Post
    I just don't get the same "Warm Fuzzies" from a home made jury rigged, using expired materials, & components way beyond their design limits Hand made submersible, that I do from a nice hand-made suit!
    I think others would agree with you if they were still around.