Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Titanic mission

You don't "Climb" Everest any more - you just walk up the steps holding onto the rope.

2. Default

Heard this on the news, and found this.

"Former passenger on Titan submersible says you have to sign a waiver that mentions death 3 times on the first page: 'So it's never far from your mind'
    Last edited by Johnny P; 06-22-2023 at 06:11.

3. Default

If you die on Everest you become you become a roadside attraction.

"Green Boots" isn't taking a nap.

[/url]

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Johnny P; 06-22-2023 at 06:22.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Heard this on the news, and found this.

"Former passenger on Titan submersible says you have to sign a waiver that mentions death 3 times on the first page: 'So it's never far from your mind'
    Yes, this was not just a reminder but a release from being sued if something did happen. Still, the company owners can be sued/fined/arrested/whatever due to being warned by many that this vessel was not safe enough to withstand the pressures and make this kind of trip.

Some who took a trip before commented that they feared they would make it out alive. The only controls on the sub was an "off the shelf" then modified Logitech game controller. The pilot received text messages from above water level and steered accordingly---read it many times and still don't understand much of it.

One previous employee was fired when he spoke of his concerns of safety. Not of the nature of the trip but that of the sub structure/design.

Long story short: it wasn't built like the Russian MIR and came no where close.

Kind of ironic. "Unsinkable ships" that are pretty fragile it turns out.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

The sub imploded during descent. Debris field was 1600 feet from Titanic's bow. Recovery of bodies is not possible.

7. Default

Depending on the depth that the implosion occurred, there may not be any bodies to recover. If at a great enough depth where the implosion had a dieseling effect, there may not be any remains.

There certainly won't be any whole bodies.

Spending millions to try to save human lives was one thing and not an issue. I know the families of the deceased think differently but the few remains/fragments that could be retrieved now wouldn't be worth the cost , effort and risk.

These people loved the Titanic. They are a part of it now.

Time to pack up and leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    There certainly won't be any whole bodies.

Spending millions to try to save human lives was one thing and not an issue. I know the families of the deceased think differently but the few remains/fragments that could be retrieved now wouldn't be worth the cost , effort and risk.

These people loved the Titanic. They are a part of it now.

Time to pack up and leave.
    You are correct on all points Allen. Have a service and drop some wreaths in the water at the site. That would be my wish.

I learned that the son of the Pakistani tourist on the trip was older than I thought at 19. I also learned he was apprehensive about the whole thing and didn't want to take the trip but was under a lot of pressure from his dad and an aunt to go. I find that part especially sad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    The sub imploded during descent. Debris field was 1600 feet from Titanic's bow. Recovery of bodies is not possible.
    .....and the people on the surface heard it break up when it happen on their listening gear. It turns out the rescue operation was truly "hoping against hope."
    Last edited by Art; 06-23-2023 at 07:05.

10. Default

At an ambient pressure of 5,582.8818 PSIG (378.78 atmospheres)
    There's no recognizable tissue to recover.