Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default My Belgian FN 98 safety

I have looked at a few reviews, ect. and haven't seen another rifle with the safety on the right hand side like mine. Maybe FN did it? I'm thinking the owner had it modified. I like the safety like this. Another question. It has a scope mount. Did FN ever set these commercial rifles up for a scope or is this another modification by an owner?
    I have come to the conclusion that this rifle was made in the early 1950's.

DSC00327.jpg
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Looks like a Buehler safety . . . .common on sporting Mausers.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    Looks like a Buehler safety . . . .common on sporting Mausers.
    That's what it is -- I've had several rifles with Buehler safties.

4. Default

I have looked at a few reviews, ect. and haven't seen another rifle with the safety on the right-hand side like mine.
    I do not want to waste your time so please tell me the position of the safety when in the fire position and safety position.

F. Guffey

If the rifle has been cocked and the switch is in the down position like in the picture, the rifle is ready to fire. If flipped up, it isn't. I didn't know the name of the safety, but the blue kind of told me it was an add on.
    But the other question is: Did FN drill and tap for scope mounts? I see lots of these rifles with scopes and I'm sure hunting was the main purpose of them. Did FN figure this into their plan? In the rear right side of the receiver(in the picture) there are holes for a Williams peep sight. I don't recall the exact name of that sight. So, did they figure, that's plenty; If someone wants a scope then the buyer had to get it done.
    Last edited by dryheat; 06-18-2023 at 09:43.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

I think FN did D&T the receiver . .
    Being that the hole spacing is the same on a Lyman 48 or 57, AND​ a Williams Foolproof, this option is available to you.

7. Default

If the rifle has been cocked and the switch is in the down position like in the picture, the rifle is ready to fire. If flipped up, it isn't. I didn't know the name of the safety, but the blue kind of told me it was an add on.
    But the other question is: Did FN drill and tap for scope mounts? I see lots of these rifles with scopes and I'm sure hunting was the main purpose of them. Did FN figure this into their plan? In the rear right side of the receiver(in the picture) there are holes for a Williams peep sight. I don't recall the exact name of that sight. So, did they figure, that's plenty; If someone wants a scope then the buyer had to get it done.
    All of my Mausers flip to the left to fire, yours flips to the right. I do not have a Mauser that flips to the right to fire, if it did you safety would have to stand straight up to set safety. I have to go see a doctor, I do not know which one but it seems everything has run together.

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    All of my Mausers flip to the left to fire, yours flips to the right. I do not have a Mauser that flips to the right to fire, if it did you safety would have to stand straight up to set safety. I have to go see a doctor, I do not know which one but it seems everything has run together.

F. Guffey
    That's a Maynard Buehler Low Scope Safety. It replaces the standard Mauser 3-positon safety. It has only two positions -- up for safe and down for fire.

9. Default

F. Guffey

10. Default

Did FN drill and tap for scope mounts? I see lots of these rifles with scopes and I'm sure hunting was the main purpose of them. Did FN figure this into their plan? In the rear right side of the receiver(in the picture) there are holes for a Williams peep sight. Iname of that sight. So, did they figure, that's plenty; If someone wants a scope then the buyer had to get it done. don't recall the exact
    I have FN receivers, all use 98 Mausers parts, some Belgium Mausers were different. The ones that were different required different parts. There was one that would allow the bolt to be assembled and installed into the receiver without the safety. The safety could be installed after the bolt was installed, if the proud owner of the strange rifle pointed the rifle straight up, the safety would slide out. It is unlikely anyone will come across a Mauser with a right hand safety.

F. Guffey