Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 03A4 practice.

Default 03A4 practice.

James River 03A4 repro with M73 2.5 x scope. Haven't had her out in some time. First target was using some 110 Sierra fb over 45 gn of 8208. Adding another pad to the LimbSaver before I head out for more punishment. Whatta Hobby!

03A4.jpg03a4 1.jpg

Got back out with some added padding and different ammo load. I loaded this ammo 9/19. Used the last 5 rnds in my range box to take down 5 AR-500 prairie dogs at 200yds. Whatta Hobby!

03A4 2.jpg03A4 3.jpg03A4 4.jpg03A4 5.jpg

My home range only goes out to 300 so I have no need for the heavier bullets anymore. Still have a ton of them on the shelf just in case I get the urge though.

Just came in from doing a test firing to show that 150 gn fb Bergers over 55 gn of IMR-4350, which I consider a full load, easily capable of 600 yd shooting do about the same scores at 100 as the lighter 110 gn bullets. The 150s give about 30 % more recoil and in a day of practicing a couple hundred rounds makes a huge difference in the toll on the body. Only shot 40 rnds this morning and I am headed to the loading bench for some recovery time. Whatta Hobby!

03A4 6.jpg
    Last edited by nf1e; 06-13-2023 at 07:15.

Getting there. Thanks for the suggestions on making the scope upgrade. Changed out the M73 scope for an M82 last night. Much easier for these old eyes to set the post at 6 oclock than trying to guess where the target center is with the old 3 moa crosshairs. One click down and one click right for the next outing once my shoulder has a bit of recovery time. Whatta Hobby!

03A4 7.jpg
    Last edited by nf1e; 06-16-2023 at 08:45.

What a difference a small scope change can make. Had the M73 on this rifle for over 10 years and it worked fine for my 200 yd prairie dogs but left a lot to be desired for bullseye. M82 works better for both. Who woulda thunk? Whatta Hobby!

03A4 8.jpg03A4 9.jpg

Blog Entries

I had one of my No 4 T's out a few weeks ago

original T that hte No32 was replaced with a Weaver ,,

the weavers don't set right for me, hard to see thru them prone for whatever reason, but I was able to keep most shots kinda tight in a SR1 100

was shooting to do a postal match on another forum, but not happy with the results so I trashed the target before taking a pic,

next outing I will take it again, but will swap out the Weaver for real deal No 32 Mk III I picked up a few months ago,

Ihave another that I think I posted here in the Enfield section that is all righteous, but that scope was locked up, so that went off to Wheaty to get repaired, hopefully that will be back by the end of the summer,

I was so stuck on original issue everything for decades. Then, the awakening. I tried another's Hi-Lux reproduction scope on my range and the light came on. The newly engineered scopes leave the old, junkers, in the dust. Let the collectors have all the originals for their safe queens if that's what they want. I sure won't ever go down that trail and money pit again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    I was so stuck on original issue everything for decades. Then, the awakening. I tried another's Hi-Lux reproduction scope on my range and the light came on. The newly engineered scopes leave the old, junkers, in the dust. Let the collectors have all the originals for their safe queens if that's what they want. I sure won't ever go down that trail and money pit again.
    I have a repro No32 as well (currenly have 3 4T's and an extra scope,

I have not taken the repro out, it is a No 4 Trials converted ,

Trying something different. Installed a EGW Picatinny rail on one of my James River 03A4 repros for the halibut. Now I can easily mount what I have for modern scopes and put the Redfield mount back on when I feel like it. Whatta Hobby!

03a4 2.jpg
    Last edited by nf1e; 07-01-2023 at 04:28.

When came to shooting, used the scope fbi fitted to A4's in 70s (forget name as both are long gone). Was huge difference over the m73b1.