Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pricing a pristine trapdoor

My rifle in question was stored till the early 50's and is in excellent condition with an original bayonet, repro sling and sight cover. I purchased it years ago from Al Frasca. The serial number is very close to what Mr. Hosmer has.
    My question is what should I price it at? Mr. Hosmer once said he wouldn't sell his for less than $2500. I'm thinking of asking $3000?
    Last edited by Major Tom; 06-06-2023 at 05:32.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    My rifle in question was stored till the early 50's and is in excellent condition with an original bayonet, repro sling and sight cover. I purchased it years ago from Al Frasca. The serial number is very close to what Mr. Hosmer has.
    My question is what should I price it at? Mr. Hosmer once said he wouldn't sell his for less than $2500. I'm thinking of asking $3000?
    IIRC, there is one on GB now asking for $3250. Just remember, you can always come down if it doesn't sell! Have you signed up to the new TD board at armscollector.com?

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    IIRC, there is one on GB now asking for $3250. Just remember, you can always come down if it doesn't sell! Have you signed up to the new TD board at armscollector.com?
    Mr. Hosmer, I consigned my trapdoor at Simpsons asking $3400. The man there said he just sold a similar one, but not quite as nice. I really feel bad about selling it, but times are difficult for now. It surely is a collectible trapdoor! BTW, yes, I have signed on to the newTD board.

There is one on Guns International, actually 2 .
    One made in 1884 listed at 2495.00 and one made in 1889 listed at 2895.00.
    The one made in 1889 has a really nice cased colored breech block but it's dated 1873???? The guy selling it says he bought it many years ago and has been in his safe for many years.
    Both are in minty condition!!

And as nice a carbine as you will ever see just sold on GB for 7,575.50. Item 987907910

My trapdoor is now posted on Simpsons @ $3400.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    My trapdoor is now posted on Simpsons @ $3400.
    Never heard of "Simpsons". Are they well-known? Be interesting to see how your rifle fares - there are quite a few mint M1884 rifles still in existance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Never heard of "Simpsons". Are they well-known? Be interesting to see how your rifle fares - there are quite a few mint M1884 rifles still in existance.
    Simpsons is out of Ill, and relatively well known

https://simpsonltd.com/

Thanks - we'll see what happens. I may have to raise the estimated valuation of mine.

For anyone interested, Simpsons LLC, item # C58313
    Thanks for looking