Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Being retired............

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

After retiring none of the days are hard for me.

I think about my previous job every day but would never consider going back.

Every night is Friday night, and every day is a Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Every night is Friday night, and every day is a Saturday.
    One of the favorite sayings of my fondly remembered friend Carl Jensen. You asked him what he was doing next week and he'd start off "well, on Saturday-Monday I'm...." I had a day job of some sort for 20 odd years after I retired, none full time the great thing was if you got to where you didn't like the gig you just quit, knowing you had a lot of "Saturdays" to find another if you wished and that retirement check always comes .

Blog Entries

I retired, but my 3 dogs didn't. So, I got up to let them out, and began the day. One by one they passed, now the day begins around 8. I'd rather have my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by PWC View Post
    I retired, but my 3 dogs didn't. So, I got up to let them out, and began the day. One by one they passed, now the day begins around 8. I'd rather have my friends.
    I know how you feel. After retiring I devoted all my time to my dog (my best friend) who wanted the attention. We did everything together, we went everywhere together. He is gone now and my life is very empty. I don't want another one due to their short life span. You see the entire cycle of life evolve in just a few years. I can't go through the loss of another one. In some ways it's worse than losing a human family member since humans (adults) understand what is happening to them.

Back to retirement, still good, just not as good as it was.

[QUOTE=Allen;649955]I know how you feel. I don't want another one due to their short life span. You see the entire cycle of life evolve in just a few years. I can't go through the loss of another one.

That is one reason I have not considered getting another dog after the heart breaking losses of several through the years however I'm now getting to the age that I probably will be gone before any dog I get!

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    That is one reason I have not considered getting another dog after the heart breaking losses of several through the years however I'm now getting to the age that I probably will be gone before any dog I get!
    Do you have family members who will look after the dog as well as you do after death?

In my case no. My wife would feed the dog, let it lay next to her on the couch, my son take it to the vet, but only I have bathed them, groomed them, given them their meds, taken the time to walk the dogs, take them for car rides, play with them, let them out late at night, and do what I can when I understand what they want.

A lot of dogs end up in shelters after the owners die. Some are adopted, others aren't. Animals don't understand any of this.
    Last edited by Allen; 06-05-2023 at 07:12.

Now that I am retired, I don't care for Sat and Sun. Everyone is on the road. I don't go near the lake. I've seen too much unbelievable dangerous driving.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Now that I am retired, I don't care for Sat and Sun. Everyone is on the road. I don't go near the lake. I've seen too much unbelievable dangerous driving.
    My previous job consisted of 12hr rotating shifts often resulting in days off in the middle of the week. It was nice going to a movie or restaurant on a Tuesday night when the crowds were low. Now, like you, I avoid the weekends. What I need to do away from home can be done Mon--Fri instead.