Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

I worked as a part-time driver and dispatcher for a large limo company, we got lots of retirees. For most, it wasn't the money so much as it got them out of the house, away from their wives friends, too many "Honey Do" lists, being "volunteered" to chauffeur her friends to doctors' appointments, etc. I knew one cheerfulsalesman behind the gun counter of a chain sporting goods store-"i always wanted to work with guns" "See more of the grandkids than I'd like." etc. One man-a retired lawyer-said he enjoyed the driving, the company used Cadillacs, back them they had a 4 year service life, lots of miles of course.

I look back at the 25 years since my early retirement and they’ve been some of my best years. I remember how hard it was in the beginning to adapt to retired life. I didn’t miss the work itself since it became clear that GE was not really interested in keeping our business open. It became a race to see who could reach the minimum retirement age of 55 with at least 25 years of service that would qualify us for an early pension before a buyer was found. I met both minimums and our business was sold a couple years after I retired. I missed having something to do every day and the people that I worked with. I’m still friends with a few of my co-workers and I discovered that looking after my grand children while their parents worked would keep us busy. I became interested in antique collecting, guns and travel.

Then, the animals came along. We felt bad losing a great cat in her mid life to cancer in April, 2022 but acquired a male kitten a month later from a rescue in WV. He’s now a big cat that’s more like a dog who knows his name and comes when he’s called. He follows us around the house and always wants to be part of what we’re doing. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to keep him for the rest of his life in exchange for the joy he gives us every day. If he outlives us, then my daughter will give him a home.
    Last edited by Merc; 06-06-2023 at 05:52.