Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

There's a big cat preserve at Turpentine Creek, Arkansas, right outside of Eureka Springs. They have about a hundred big cats, including a full-grown tiger that someone had as a pet. He decided he didn't want it any more, so he drove up to Ponca, on the Buffalo Wilderness, and kicked it out of his truck!

About four days later, it showed up at his house again and this time he called the big cat preserve.

A picture of a zoo keeper and my wife years ago. Cat weighed about 40# then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    A picture of a zoo keeper and my wife years ago. Cat weighed about 40# then.
    At Turpentine Creek they say do NOT pet lions and tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    At Turpentine Creek they say do NOT pet lions and tigers!
    These cats and other young animals go home with the zookeepers at night where they play and have run of the house. They get use to certain people.

The cat in the picture is a male. His sister was colored as a normal tiger (Bengal). At the time of the picture the cat had a fractured leg due to jumping off a coffee table and landing wrong at the zookeepers home. When my wife was bottle feeding him she would have to shift him around a little due to his weight. Once the shifting caused him discomfort (due to the injured leg) and he let out a growl while in her lap. Needless to say, my wife wasn't expecting that. I saw and petted the cat after it became fully grown. They were declawed but still had their teeth.

As far as the general public touching wild animals, everyone is going to approach them a little differently with some people being cruel so yeah, it's best to post such signs telling people look but don't touch, pet or irritate the animals. The zoo where these animals are kept have secondary perimeter fence's so people can't reach in far enough to touch.
    Last edited by Allen; 06-03-2023 at 09:55.

Remember Seigfried and Roy?

During a show at the Mirage on Roy Horn's birthday on October 3, 2003, a seven-year-old white tiger named Mantacore attacked Horn. (The name of the tiger has frequently been misspelled as "Montecore" in media reports.) As part of the act, but veering off script, Horn held his microphone to Mantacore's mouth and told him to say "hello" to the audience. Mantacore responded by biting Horn's sleeve. Horn swatted the tiger and barked "release!", while standby trainers unsuccessfully attempted to distract the cat with cubes of meat. Possibly incited by Horn's retreat, the tiger leapt at Horn, swinging at his legs and knocking him off his feet.

As trainers rushed in from offstage to assist, Mantacore bit into Horn's neck and dragged him offstage. Trainers got the tiger to release Horn by spraying him with CO2 fire extinguisher canisters, the last resort available.

The attack severed Horn's spine, resulted in massive blood loss, and severely injured other parts of his body, permanently impairing his motor and verbal abilities. He also had a stroke either before or after Mantacore dragged him offstage.

Yeah, they can be unpredictable. When I visited the cat after it was fully grown it was kept on a leash when out of his fenced area.

I like horses but don't care to ride them as they have a mind of their own and can will do what they want to do.

In this regard I always preferred a motorcycle. It goes when you want it to and stops when you want it to. Occasionally though they will flip over or run into a tree when you're least expecting it. Yeah, those days are over for me--lucky to still be alive I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Yeah, they can be unpredictable. When I visited the cat after it was fully grown it was kept on a leash when out of his fenced area.

I like horses but don't care to ride them as they have a mind of their own and can will do what they want to do.

In this regard I always preferred a motorcycle. It goes when you want it to and stops when you want it to. Occasionally though they will flip over or run into a tree when you're least expecting it. Yeah, those days are over for me--lucky to still be alive I guess.
    My Grandfather was killed on a motorcycle -- he was a Highway Patrolman chasing a speeder and someone backed out onto the road in front of him. My Dad left college (he was a Senior) and took Grandpa's job. The Highway Patrol had a motorcycle demonstration team -- I have a picture of Dad going around a track standing on the seat, arms outstretched.

Later on. he was racing on an Indian motorcycle, which had tape wrapped around the handlebars. The motorcycle did not have a throttle (this was a pure racing bike.) Instead it had a button that would blip the magneto and cause it to misfire and slow down. A piece of tape got between the contacts, and he couldn't slow down -- he left the track at 80 and broke his back.

UBC is the University Of British Columbia outside of Vancouver BC. The native squirrels out here are black, nothing unusual. Coyotes cannot live on tofu and vegan handouts from the students on campus.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    UBC is the University Of British Columbia outside of Vancouver BC. The native squirrels out here are black, nothing unusual. Coyotes cannot live on tofu and vegan handouts from the students on campus.
    People can't live on toe foo, either -- we don't have enough toes.