Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default A Coyote Catching and eating a squirrel in a city with people around

The scene may be disturbing to some people so please use discretion in wanting to watch it

Two things that makes this video unusual is that the squirrel is completely black and it took place in a city with people close by and some watching

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuCJ...1B1C5B&index=4

2. Default

All black squirrels are common in parts of NYC. Maybe other places too?
    'Yotes are survivors, they thrive in urban environments.

Welcome to the circle of life.

I personally wouldn't walk that close to a coyote but apparently the 'yotes are as comfortable around people there as the squirrels.

I've seen housecats eat rats and squirrels exactly the same way, head first almost like they were eating a candy bar. You could hear those bones pop.

Both gray and fox squirrels have black variations, more common some places than others. Down here you don't see the black version very much but they do show up now and then.
    Last edited by Art; 06-02-2023 at 04:40.

Wile E. gots to eat, too. SW

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    Both gray and fox squirrels have black variations, more common some places than others. Down here you don't see the black version very much but they do show up now and then.
    My brother shot a solid black squirrel with a bright red tail when he was young. My dad took it to a taxidermist to be stuffed/mounted and the guy went out of business taking the squirrel with him.

Fox squirrels here are rare and some of them get as big as a big tom cat. They are solitary animals. If you see one that is all you see. They don't plunder and get into bird feeders and such like the common gray squirrels.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    My brother shot a solid black squirrel with a bright red tail when he was young. My dad took it to a taxidermist to be stuffed/mounted and the guy went out of business taking the squirrel with him.

Fox squirrels here are rare and some of them get as big as a big tom cat. They are solitary animals. If you see one that is all you see. They don't plunder and get into bird feeders and such like the common gray squirrels.
    That's why there's fewer of them.

The squirrels native to my part of the world are called Douglas squirrels. Unfortunately some folks decided to bring the bigger eastern gray and black squirrels out here. Pretty much run off the Douglas squirrels as they are so much smaller. Pretty soon all we will have are eastern wetbacks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_squirrel

KTK

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    Wile E. gots to eat, too. SW
    If his cartoons had continued perhaps we would have seen these episodes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

How many of those onlookers thought the coyote was just a dog?
    I’m guessing about half!

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    How many of those onlookers thought the coyote was just a dog?
    I?m guessing about half!
    I'm guessing you're right, and its probably more than half.

My mother grew up until she was 12 0r 13 on a working cattle ranch before her family sold out in the mid 1920s, so knew about local wildlife. At that time there weren't any coyotes in southeast Texas, boy has that changed! One day she was walking in town with her father and saw a fellow walking with an unusual looking dog on a leash, when she mentioned it to her father he said "Doll, that's not a dog, that's a Coyote." Yep there was a guy in town who had a pet 'yote. I don't think that's a real swift idea but when I was a kid there were people who had pet skunks (one of my sisters-in-law) and racoons too, one fellow I know had a pet crow . The old boy with a crow said that bird was the biggest troublemaker you can imagine, not only very smart but very mischievous. The bird could break into things you'd never imagine and would not only steal stuff but would hide it. In my mature years I've gotten to where I believe wild animal pets are a generally bad idea for too many reasons to go into here.
    Last edited by Art; 06-03-2023 at 05:14.