Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Serifed/Block Letters on Remington saftey

My memory has falled me again. I am back on two 1903a4 projects that i put aside severial years ago. Going through my parts i see i have both a block letter and Serifed bolt saftey and can't recall what time period they would match up to. Anyone have this info. thanks

My original 03-A4 serial number 3.413 million with barrel date of 6-43 has non-serifed safety.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    My original 03-A4 serial number 3.413 million with barrel date of 6-43 has non-serifed safety.

thanks nice looking rifle.

According to the seller, he was a retiring Navy dentist, and bought it out of Benecia Arsenal. Don't know how long he had it, but I have had it 30 years of so. According to him it was complete as bought, where the NRA/DCM 03/A4 rifles did not have a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by kicker View Post
    My memory has falled me again. I am back on two 1903a4 projects that i put aside severial years ago. Going through my parts i see i have both a block letter and Serifed bolt saftey and can't recall what time period they would match up to. Anyone have this info. thanks
    If you have a very early M'03-A4, then the safety lock would have serifed letters on one side only and have a parkerized finish. If you have a later production M'03-A4, then the safety lock would have block letters on both sides and have a parkerized finish. The changeover occurred with barrels dated in 3-43 and 4-43.

J.B.
    Last edited by John Beard; 05-31-2023 at 09:42.

6. Default thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Beard View Post
    If you have a very early M'03-A4, then the safety lock would have serifed letters on one side only and have a parkerized finish. If you have a later production M'03-A4, then the safety lock would have block letters on both sides and have a parkerized finish. The changeover occurred with barrels dated in 3-43 and 4-43.

J.B.
    Thanks . I did not know thet were parkeried as well.

7. Default dates

Quote Originally Posted by kicker View Post
    Thanks . I did not know that were parkeried as well.
    Both of mine have 9/43 barrel dates. Which from my understanding are correct for 3422870 and Z4001126 do to a hold up. I am missing one correct bolt.

It is rather strange that the only original phosphate/Parkerized finished parts on the 03-A3 are the barrel and receiver, and the safety.

9. Default

yes it is. I have had o3's in the past and just don't recall. It is good to know as i was going to glass bead and rust blue them.
    scott

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    It is rather strange that the only original phosphate/Parkerized finished parts on the 03-A3 are the barrel and receiver, and the safety.
    The bayonet bands on early Remington M'03-A3's (and probably M'03-A4's) were also parkerized.

J.B.