Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saturday coffee July 22

No coffee yet, but I've stale donuts to soak in it when wifey makes a pot. At the moment she's still snoring soundly and I never disturb that. She and I both had appointments at the hosp a couple days ago. I was in urology where it was smiles and back slaps all around. To be polite, I asked the urologist how he was doing, and he took time to tell me of his aches and pains.

Which was fine. I mean, he listens to other people complain all day, so a chance to voice his own troubles must be welcome. He's from the same small town as me - graduated with my brother in 73. Good people, he is.

Wifey's appointment also went well. The replaced shoulder is healing nicely. To celebrate, we grabbed fast food on the way home. I'm making a little wine and hoped to have a glass of that, but it won't be ready for another week. Plus I'd like to measure it with a hydrometer to test alcohol content.

I've made "throat sanitizer" before - this is my 1st go at wine. For now I'll be quiet and mow the lawn later this morning. SW

Blog Entries

gunshow weekend, and so far a relatively busy one, for a summer show

Still on first cup over here.
    Not a lot happening here. Weather has been a steady pace of mixed showers and brief clearing periods followed by you guessed it, more mixed showers.

Been on the bike roughly six weeks. Not sure if I'll ever get the legs back of my youth, but I still try.
    I do not too bad for a geezer on a bike, averaging 12-14 miles a day, and more when I head to the creek to fish.

Unintentionally got into it with a yuppie commuter the other day, and pushed myself a bit harder than I should have.
    He thought he was going to pass me after a red light while I was still climbing up through the gears. He kept up with me for 3 blocks, and fell back finally when I said I still have two gears left- both higher than this.

An old guy on a heavy dept. store bike out runs a 25 year old on a + $3K road bike. Sometimes I just does it to myself

In other bike news, I should get some new pedals soon. The right hand side pedal is getting a bit grindy/noisy, and will likely fail soon. It still almost passes the hand-spin test, so I should get a week or two out of it yet before it quits...

Oh, and yeah, I've lost at least 8 lbs, since this saga started. I feel pretty good about that, but my right knee of course offers a dissenting opinion :P

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

4. Default

My neighborhood starts moving around early to try and beat the heat. We're hitting the low 100s.
    One older couple was out with white sheets draped over their shoulders. I'm not going to comment on the optics of that. Myself, I favor light colored, loose fitting shirts and a white Stetson for summer wear. Judging by some of the reactions I get at the grocery store, I might as well be draped in a sheet.

Hit the gas station, topped up the car and filled a spare can I use for the mower. Cleared weeds from a ditch I'd been meaning to do something about. Cleaned and refilled the hummingbird feeder. Working on my second cup while telling myself I'm about to head out and mow the back lawn.

Keeping an eye on the thermometer. That sucker hits triple digits and I'm in for the day.
    I find Congressional oversight and confirmation hearings almost as entertaining as cartoons used to be. Air conditioning / streaming U-Tube on tv and a beer and I'm set.
    I'd promised Lyman a pic of my favorite beer. 72 years old and I'd never had a favorite beer before. I'll dig out one of my good mugs and get that done once I settle in for the day. I won't be posting any more pics here though. I believe I've hit my server space limitations.

That last wasn't a complaint, merely an observation.
    ...hoping your days go well.

White sheets? I've done that, but only for winter hunting. No ties to the clue clucks clan here! SW

Rain

Update: Storm with hellacious hail. Weather map showed all clear 40 minutes ago.
    Last edited by Allen; 07-22-2023 at 01:33.

7. Default

I saw a cloud earlier but it left without doing anything.
    If I said I'm hand watering would you think I had a body farm?

It's 102 out there and I'm not.
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 07-22-2023 at 04:11.

Those plastic MTB pedals are service-able!
    Just pop the end cap off, and there's a regular steel pedal bushing and bearings in there.
    Did both pedals with my rapidly diminishing squeeze tube of W/B grease.
    26 bearings in each pedal, 13 on each end of the bushing. They are just slightly larger than the safety detent ball in a 10-22.
    Seems to ride a lot smoother now. I did mange to do the job without losing a single bearing.
    Bike appears to have been lubed with what appears to be now dried out cosmo, which I really dislike on guns, and despise even more on bicycles.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    I did mange to do the job without losing a single bearing.
    I thought that was a requirement--a written law.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsdad View Post
    I saw a cloud earlier but it left without doing anything.
    If I said I'm hand watering would you think I had a body farm?

It's 102 out there and I'm not.
    went thru 3 storms between Fredricksburg and RVA, and then had a big one come thru the area about 10pm, lightening, thunder, rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock,

front brought some cooler timps, but it was also very humid today