Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Grandson is interested in getting involved.

Long story: I purchased a 1942 Remington A3, the barrel is stamped 'SANTA FE'. The rifle is like new, I purchased the rifle with two boxes of Remington Green boxed 30/06 rounds, I took the rifle with 1 box of ammo to check accuracy. It is going to be very expensive.to improve on the accuracy of the rifle.

One of my grandsons came over to help me with some plumbing, he has had little to no interest in what I have been involved in, when finished he asked me about a rifle, he wanted to know if I had one ready to go or was, I interested in building one. I dug out the parts and then explained to him I do not have the stock and if he wanted a fancy trigger it would have to be ordered. I offered to give him the 1942 A3 Remington: problem, the A3 is not drilled and tapped. I discouraged him from installing a scope.

And then he asked me If he would be allowed to help. Up until now he has had no interest in what I do, he is 25 with a younger brother. And then there is bluing, I have 9 vats with stands and burners, all apart.

F> Guffey

Better check that again. There were plenty of barrels but no receivers, and someone went into the business of making new receivers stamped SANTA FE, of questionable quality. Word was the receivers were cast rather than forged.

3. Default

Thank you. I have three Santa Fee bolts with the lugs sheared off. All 3 bolts had the bolt faces opened up to belted magnum.

Cast rather than forged, I have seen the receivers, the serial numbers on the receiver would never pass for Remington serial numbers and then there is the Remington stamp. If I was not convinced this receiver is a Remington receiver, I would have never purchased it. No one would make an offer, The same crowd was excited about a Presentation Mauser, so I had to see it. It took a while to find it, I suggested the dealer take the first offer. That was when he started telling me how much he was told it was worth. I suggested he find a magnifying glass/loop.

F. Guffey

Same with the bolts. Plenty of surplus G.I. bolts, but no receivers. Santa Fe only made receivers. If I remember correctly the Santa Fe receivers started at serial number 5000000.

No bolts, no barrels, just receivers.

5. Default

If I remember correctly the Santa Fe receivers started at serial number 5000000.
    The serial number on thus rifle is 3266###, that puts it as being a Remington 03. 1942.

F. Guffey

"Long story: I purchased a 1942 Remington A3, the barrel is stamped 'SANTA FE'."

That was my point. There were no barrels stamped SANTA FE, and there were no SANTA FE stamped bolts. If your barrel is original it will be stamped RA for Remington Arms.

If I remember correctly Golden State Arm in Pasadena, Ca. marketed what they called the Santa Fe "Trooper' sometime in the mid 1960s All the parts were U.S.G.I., 03A3, with the exception of the receiver, which was cast in , I believe, Spain.
    J.J.

8. Default

That was my point. There were no barrels stamped SANTA FE, and there were no SANTA FE stamped bolts. If your barrel is original it will be stamped RA for Remington Arms.
    Why are you so angry? The barrel is stamped "Produced by Santa FE Division"
    of Golden State Arms Corporation
    1942 SHARPSHOOTER.

Again, I have bolts that are in all kind of stages of having the bolt lugs sheared off, they all were removed from Santa Fe rifles, I do not believe the bolts would have survived the stamping/rolling.

If your barrel is original it will be stamped RA for Remington Arms. The rifle only has one barrel on it: I said it was a Santa Fe, everyone in the building had a chance to purchase the rifle that day, the rifle would not have been available for me to purchase if the barrel had been stamped RA.

Bad barrel? That would please me, I have a heavy machine gun 308/7.62 NATO Israeli barrel that is ready to screw in to the 03, The barrel on the "SHARPSHOOTER has been fired 10 +or - a very few times.

Not angry. Just trying to help you get your story straight.

[QUOTENot angry. Just trying to help you get your story straight.][/QUOTE]

you'll never win any discussion ... just my observation ...
    john in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)