Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

The bovine roundup started today,gunna be a hectic next 5 day’s or so,no rain for a few day’s & low 80’s cloudy day’s forecasted the gens are starting to put in overtime hrs to pick up the slack on the loss of solar hrs,hopefully it all turns out splendidly by next weekend.The PBR’s will earn their keep!!

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    But if you make it for her the smell of coffee is always a good thing to wake up to.

In our case it's whoever gets up first. Our coffeemaker keeps the coffee hot and drinkable for 2 hours (SS with no heating element under pot).

Here, there is no rain yet but it will come. The yard is like a swamp. Grass overall is OK but a few stalks of crabgrass are blooming so it needs to be cut.
    For the first years of our marriage the wife and I had one of the coffee pots with the heating element under the pot. The first cup was great, but progressively went down hill. We discovered the coffee makers with the thermal pot, and last cup is as good as the first.

The zero turn mowers are great when you have a lot of grass to cut. Much faster than the old tractor type, but if there is a soft spot it only has to spin one time and you are stuck. I keep between 3 and 4 acres mowed, and this year has been especially wet. Too heavy to push out, so get out the old '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD and 20' strap out.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    The zero turn mowers are great when you have a lot of grass to cut. Much faster than the old tractor type, but if there is a soft spot it only has to spin one time and you are stuck. I keep between 3 and 4 acres mowed, and this year has been especially wet. Too heavy to push out, so get out the old '03 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4WD and 20' strap out.
    Haven't had that problem yet but yeah, zero's are really hard to push.

The bovine roundup started today,gunna be a hectic next 5 day’s or so,no rain for a few day’s & low 80’s cloudy day’s forecasted the gens are starting to put in overtime hrs to pick up the slack on the loss of solar hrs,hopefully it all turns out splendidly by next weekend.The PBR’s will earn their keep!!
    Last edited by SDigger; 05-22-2023 at 08:52.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    For the first years of our marriage the wife and I had one of the coffee pots with the heating element under the pot. The first cup was great, but progressively went down hill. We discovered the coffee makers with the thermal pot, and last cup is as good as the first.

we have an easement between our house and a neighbor, and with the 54" deck on the Deere X340, I have gotten high centered or low centered a few times,
    sometimes I can pull the lever and put it in neutral, and muscle it one way or the other,
    most times I pull the lever, put it in neutral, and run a chain up to the Tundra and pull it out

But if you make it for her the smell of coffee is always a good thing to wake up to.

In our case it's whoever gets up first. Our coffeemaker keeps the coffee hot and drinkable for 2 hours (SS with no heating element under pot).
    Sometimes the smell of coffee is enough to wake her- sometimes not.
    We tried the thermal carafe thing a few years back and ended up giving it away after less than a week.
    We are both from the school of hot is the way to drink coffee. The thermal pot couldn't keep it hot enough for our likes.
    Current machine is a little over 3 years old now, and the warming plate/boiler has just about had it.
    Slow to brew and fast to cool...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    Sometimes the smell of coffee is enough to wake her- sometimes not.
    We tried the thermal carafe thing a few years back and ended up giving it away after less than a week.
    We are both from the school of hot is the way to drink coffee. The thermal pot couldn't keep it hot enough for our likes.
    Current machine is a little over 3 years old now, and the warming plate/boiler has just about had it.
    Slow to brew and fast to cool...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Coffee is like music. A lot of variances. What one person likes another dislikes. It seems most people like strong coffee and a dark roast. I'm just the opposite. I like a mild roast. Personally my stomach can't tolerate anything strong. To me, with a mild roast you taste the coffee. With a med or dark roast you taste the roast.

A lot depends too upon what you put in your coffee. If you use cream and sugar ( or substitute ) you may want it strong. Straight black coffee you may want weaker. As a kid I loaded it up with crap and wanted the strong coffee for extra taste.

As far as the thermal pots go, w/o a heating element underneath you would have to lose some heat but we have to let the stuff cool a bit before drinking anyway so it never affected us. We went through 2 Cuisinart thermal coffee makers. They brewed good and had built in grinders but both of them leaked water on to the counter top. Now we use a cheapo $50 thermal pot from Black and Decker. Slow but it doesn't leak. For us it seems the heater under the pot cooks the coffee too much and changes the flavor.

8. Default

Winter days when I'm stuck by the woodstove I'll break out the hand grinder, French press and fancy beans. I have a variety stashed for such occasions. Gives me something to look forward to. Otherwise, it's cold instant with the intent to get me going.

Just got off the phone with my firewood connection.
    Sounds like next Winter's hardwood is on the way. Feeling pretty good about that. Last Winter was a squeaker. Another couple weeks of serious cold would have had me eyeing the furniture. Ordered half again what I went through last year to give me more of a cushion. Almond has to come over the pass from California. By the time it gets here it's far from cheap but worth every penny.

My stove has a really small firebox. Pine won't get the job done.
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 05-22-2023 at 04:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsdad View Post
    Winter days when I'm stuck by the woodstove I'll break out the hand grinder, French press and fancy beans. I have a variety stashed for such occasions. Gives me something to look forward to. Otherwise, it's cold instant with the intent to get me going.

Just got off the phone with my firewood connection.
    Sounds like next Winter's hardwood is on the way. Feeling pretty good about that. Last Winter was a squeaker. Another couple weeks of serious cold would have had me eyeing the furniture. Ordered half again what I went through last year to give me more of a cushion. Almond has to come over the pass from California. By the time it gets here it's far from cheap but worth every penny.

My stove has a really small firebox. Pine won't get the job done.
    And here I sit smothered with trees that need to be cut. After hurricanes we have so many trees down FEMA picks them up if you can haul them to the highway right of way. From there they go to county landfills until they form huge mountains. Later they are ground for mulch, bagged and distributed to stores. Some get burned or buried as land fill. A few people here have wood burning fireplaces and store wood but it takes up space and needs to be kept in a shed or lean-to.

10. Default

*** needs to be kept in a shed or lean-to.
    I've seen people stack firewood up against the house.

I'm always finding termite larvae when splitting. Carpenter ants gobble up damp pine in nothing flat. Keeping both away from the house means digging a path out to the woodshed and splitting stump pretty much first thing after a snowfall but I'm used to it. Lined the inside of the shed with some old redwood fence boards. Friends thought it was overkill.

seems to be holding up
    HPIM4550.jpg

I suspect Northern Nevada has more of a winter than you folks are used to.
    I had snow on the roof in early March that first fell on New Year's Eve.
    Deep snow messed up more than a few buildings up at nearby Lake Tahoe.
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 05-22-2023 at 08:04.