Default Suspicious email from jcars

Anyone else (old timers) receive this email, allegedly from Jeff?

How are you?
    I need your help. I'd appreciate it if you could email me back. Am unable to talk on the phone right now due to a serious sore throat.
    Please let me know if you are online.

Thank you.
    jeff
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Yep. Hadn't thought of that handle in years. They were doing pretty good until the serious sore throat thing.

Yesterday must have been scammer's day as my wife got one on her ipad warning her not to delete the message or turn her ipad off and contact them immediately, and I got one about my Amazon account.

I received the same thing. When I asked what he needed, he replied he got hacked and all was OK with his computer now. Just to be sure, I ran my security programs and nothing showed up.

Since I see Dan also received the same e mail, I have sent Jeff an e mail tonight to verify.
    Last edited by JohnMOhio; 05-17-2023 at 07:34.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

I received one too, jcars is the person known as "bodyman" by the name of Jeff Carstens who was a collector of Winchester M1 rifles, did
    some work for the GCA publication over the years.

Why someone is using his ID is not known?

If a message that is a little sketchy tells me to do something immediately, I think; don't tell me what to do.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

yahoo account?

The email I got was listed as an AOL account. I haven't been in touch with Jeff for years, so it surprised me when I got that email.

I wouldn't be surprised if anyone who responded will get another email shortly, either asking for money or touting some "sure-fire, can't miss investment".

If Jeff's account was hacked, I'd bet his password was changed so that he couldn't get in to see what was going on; at the same time, the impersonator
    was sending out messages using Jeff's email address book.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

8. Default

His email has been hacked. I got one too. I replied and received a response saying he had Covid, could not get out of the house, was trying to buy an Apple gift card for someone but was unable to do so online. The scammer asked if I would purchase the gift card and he would reimburse me. Obviously bogus. I have not communicated with jcars (Bodyman) in probably over 10 years.

A friend told me he has heard of this scam. Once you purchase the gift card they don't give out a physical address to mail it to. Rather, they ask for the card numbers/code so they can use it.

9. Default

I talked to Jeff the other day after I got the same email.

He's fine. His email on the other hand......

I keep getting mail from the name of a close friend saying "I think you'll remember the people in these pics" or similar which I block, but they come back from a different address. I've suggested multiple times he should clean up his hard drive, but nothing so far. SW