Default Civil War antiques

684F5C7C-3D9B-450C-9FD2-F2E4FF5670D3.jpg1AB5B4F6-5527-476F-A9E8-F73507F0DEC8.jpg21C8DC79-6C73-411C-AB60-9AE34777E745.jpg

The Ohio Civil War show keeps us collectors busy. The event is held in Mansfield, OH on the first Saturday-Sunday in May.

This year, I purchased a Civil War veteran’s watch and a solid shot cannon ball.

The watch is a really nice Seth Thomas size 18 pocket watch from the 1880s that runs and keeps excellent time. The movement is housed in a swing-out case that, so far, has resisted all of my attempts to open. I don’t want to force it and cause any damage, so the serial number that will indicate the exact date of manufacture and the jewel count will both remain unknown for now. The porcelain dial is pristine without cracks or chips. The case is in nice condition and has a brass inlaid image of the GAR badge that indicates the former owner was likely a member of the Grand Army of the Republic. The badge is worn smooth so the watch was carried daily for many years.

The cannon ball is a 4 pounder solid shot. Its weight and diameter matches the US Ordnance specs of a 4 pounder that would have been fired by a 3 inch smooth bore cannon. The patina is undisturbed and a small section of the mold seam is visible.
    Last edited by Merc; 05-16-2023 at 04:24.