Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do not call registry

I am registered on the Do Not Call Listing on my Land Line and I still get calls. For instance in the last 13 day I have received 133 calls. That is an average of 10 calls a day. However to give you an idea, the slowest day was only 2 calls. On May 8th I had 23 calls.

The phone calls are multiples of Credit Card debt relief, Cable TV discounts, Medicare, Last Expenses for us old folks, Extended Car Warranties, Home Warranty and a plan for a $50 debit card along with a 35% discount on Natural Gas and Electric bills.

Having a land line, I have no way of blocking the indicated phone numbers. Doing so would not work in most of the cases as the phone numbers listed are not the actual source number. My phone used to list who was calling and in the great majority of the cases it was also not the actual source. Now the calling party is "unavailable."

Are any of my fellow posters here having the same experience or is this just local to where I live?

Thanks for your comments/replies.
    John
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

My land line is also on the do not call list and it rings all the time with unwanted calls. I can block them, but they never stop.

The "do not call registry" started off as a good thing but NEVER included political calls, political polls, political fund raisers and charity calls and THOSE were the bulk of the calls in the first place.

Later, it was discovered that the do not call fines were not being inforced so everyone suddenly became a charity and called away.

If you have the phone co block your calls or if you pay for a phone number blocker the phone will still ring at least one time till the device recognizes the caller so not a whole lot of gain there.

What we do: My hearing sucks but I still hear the phone ring and get annoyed. My wife use to get many dozens of calls daily just from her family. Now, we set the ringer as low as it will go in the bedroom, leaving the door open and shutting off all other ringers on the other phones. She still hears the phone ring--I don't unless I'm in the bedroom.

We have caller ID, have the phones set up to only ring 4 times and obviously don't answer the phone unless we recognize the number. We still get calls but very few compared to years ago.

The route I wanted to take and threatened to take was to get rid on my line phone and have my wife's countless calls from her family ring on her cell phone inside her purse.

When it was just telemarketers that was bad enough. Now it is the robo calls that can't be blocked and a caller may have dozens if not hundreds of different numbers they call from.
    Last edited by Allen; 05-12-2023 at 08:38.

Blog Entries

robo calls, that probably never heard of or know where the do not call registry is,

and the way they can hack your number and make it look like you called the person probably don't help either

When i am in the mood to answer the phone, I have used it to have a little fun. Sometimes I will wait and connect to a live person and inform them that they have reached a do not call number, as such, they and their employer are subject to Federal Prosecution. You hear a click very quickly.

Another thing I have done is answer with an accent. I grew up in a neighborhood with multiple nationalities. I do a pretty good Scottish accent. I inform them I am Ian McGregor and ask who they wish to speak with. They ask for me by name and I tell them that Prince John has been called back to Scotland on government business and will not be back for possibly two or three months. Next thing you hear is a "click."

At times it has been fun.

John
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.
    Author unkown.

Blog Entries

that backfired on me one day,

I got to messing with one caller and he did not appreciate it,
    started calling me every 15 minutes for a couple hours,

eventually I answered and asked the guy, what is it exactly that you want, his comment was ' your money, A$$hole' and hung up,

at least he was honest

Fun with tele-beggars. Asking if they're from Bangladesh usually gets their blood pressure up. So does asking if their home has a dirt floor. But my standard drill is to not even answer if I don't recognize the number on caller ID. We get very few calls like that anyway. SW

I usually say that I can hardly understand what they are saying and ask for a English speaker, they get very insulted and reply, " My English is goood" and hang up.
    Sometimes I just ask for the Nigerian Prince with all the money...but he never is in.

I get spam calls daily on my android cell phone. I block them, but they still get thru. I speak some German and answer in that language. They usually hang up.

10. Default

Hi, I purchased a land line telephone with a block call option. My BS calls are now zero, regards, Mike