Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

Blocking the number of the scammers does no good. They can make their number show up as any number they want, even yours. Has nothing to do with the number displayed.

Now the scammers are sending out calls that aren't connected until you answer. If there is no one on the line you have a second or two to hang up before someone picks up. If I am not doing anything I will go along with them to waste their time. The latest is your utility company is either going to give you a bonus for paying your bill on time, or you paid too much and they are going to give you a refund. Only thing is they need your credit card number to give you the refund.

I will take on an Indian or South Asian accent and mess with them. Or I will answer with "Fraud Division, how can I help you?"
    Since I killed my land line, I don't get any.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Hi, I purchased a land line telephone with a block call option. My BS calls are now zero, regards, Mike
    If they are using a legitimate number, has does the phone blocker know whether the scammer or the legitimate owner is using it?

If they are using a legitimate number, has does the phone blocker know whether the scammer or the legitimate owner is using it?
    You are correct. I get calls from my area code and local phone nbrs.
    John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

5. Default

Virtually all the scam calls I get are using my area code, so if it is an unknown area code it is normally legit.

Recently got one trying to sell something, and number was from a nearby town. Told them to just give me their address as I was less than 15 minutes away and would run by. Click.

6. Default

I just start heavy breathing, wheezing & generally try to act like a serious Perv.
    It works for the most part but there was this one call doing a pre-employment background check on someone I knew.
    He actually took it pretty well considering.
    Last edited by Phloating Phlasher; 05-12-2023 at 12:19.

There was some talk a few years ago about the need to "renew" your number on the do not call list. I've done that once for my folks, but they tell me calls are picking up again. May be worth revisiting the do not call site and registering again...

Steve

Blog Entries

I have a landline with caller ID; anyone we want to talk to has their number in memory; family, friends, dr.s, pharmacy, school, insurance co, etc. Anything else we don't answer. If there is a need to talk to another not in our directory or one time call (JC Penny, hardware store, etc) I ask for their number they will call from and put it in my cell for later block or delete as needed. If I don't recognize the number it goes straight to delete. Only one time did anyone say they could not get hold of me...answer, you didn't use the number you gave me. Never missed out on anything important that we know of...except maybe Publishers Clearinghouse Sweepstakes....

If you ever answer "they" have a record that your # is active and goes into their file for use or sale.

Sometimes I screw up and answer, when I realize I answer, "23rd Prescent...Sgt O'Mally...." always works
    Last edited by PWC; 05-12-2023 at 03:51.

9. Default

My android phone is actually learning my habits & auto screening most of the scammers. It also seems to have some kind of database of "rubbish" callers. If I get a new & so unknown one, I get aprompt not the call, I can answer, ignore or add to list.

Blog Entries

Ditto my Pixel,
    I guess you block enough and it starts doing it for you,

I still get a pile of voice mails, (like 4 - 8 a week) that are spammers, but the phone itself never rang,