Default My old K-38 from around 1960

I bought this K-38 at a gunshow a very long time ago, after I bought this
    revolver, I found a pair of large target grips at the same show. Interesting
    fact is that the seller told me this K-38 was broken, could not fire double
    action, only single action. i was ok with single action. About fifteen years
    ago I had to replace the hand. the gunsmith at Brownell's told me to order
    the oversized hand which will work better. Never had any problems with
    this revolver, very accurate,P1010027_0026.jpg serial number indicated 1960 manufacture.

2. Default

I think there was a SAO option on K-38s. Did the seller say it used to be DA?

Sell had no idea, just wanted $85 for the K-38. I checked some records and from what I could tell the K-38 was
    never offered with a single action only feature with the 8 3/8 inch barrel - I could be wrong.

4. Default

I checked some records and from what I could tell the K-38 was
    never offered with a single action only feature
    And I was at at a surplus military gun store, I found some 38 and 357 Mangrum pistols that were not double action, and I asked; "Did these pistols come from Canada?"

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by fguffey View Post
    And I was at at a surplus military gun store, I found some 38 and 357 Mangrum pistols that were not double action, and I asked; "Did these pistols come from Canada?"

F. Guffey

Did he ever answer?

6. Default

Did he ever answer?
    He was an employee at the store, he did not know where the pistols came from. He was aware he was obligated to inform me all of the pistols on the table were S$W single actions. Common among the pistols: The pistols that were marked/stamped were from Canada, and well taken care of.

F. Guffey

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    Sell had no idea, just wanted $85 for the K-38. I checked some records and from what I could tell the K-38 was
    never offered with a single action only feature with the 8 3/8 inch barrel - I could be wrong.
    Your gun's configuration is pretty typical of a bullseye match pistol from the old days of that discipline.

The .38 Masterpiece was intended as a match pistol and a single action version was offered as an option intended mostly for bullseye shooters. The 8 3/8" barrel may have been a special order or could have been added by a gunsmith later. The Border Patrol gunsmith did barrel changes as a matter of course. My duty revolver, which I still have, was a Model 15 Combat Masterpiece with a 2" barrel that the BP gunsmith replaced with a 4" heavy barrel of the type used on Model 10s. I wasn't the only recipient of a rebarreled revolver from the Border Patrol shop. Use of the K38 and its descendants was almost universal in the old PPC matches law enforcement officers competed in. I recall watching Border Patrol pistol team members practicing with them at the old Border Patrol Academy at Port Isabel, Tx.

The use of the .38 Masterpiece by LEO's in the matches and its popularity with those folks, as you guys know led to demand for duty version. The Los Angeles Police Department issued double action only 6" barreled masterpieces for patrol officers for many years. The logical follow on from this demand led to the 2" and 4" barreled Combat Masterpieces which were, of course, extremely popular with LEOs who wanted a top end .38 special sidearm.
    Last edited by Art; 06-04-2023 at 10:40.