Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Random thoughts on religion...

On another site, Brit forum members were getting slightly agitated about religion. Something to do with Church of England vs Catholic Church and the connection of both to Brexit, most of which I really didn't understand. I think moderizers contacted certain members privately to prevent a Northern Ireland Catholic vs Protestant style squabble and it died out.

Growing up, we lived on a ranch 14 miles from the small community where I attended country school so not much church exposure for me then. During the summer, Mom & Dad would leave me to visit my great grandmother in another small town. This was in the early 60s - she was born in 1878 - as in elderly at the time.

I don't recall the name of the church she attended... it wasn't a "mainstream" church, but I'm probably better off not mentioning which one it was. I clearly recall the main man stopping by for "donations" in the middle of the week and thought considerably less of him for that, knowing great grandma hadn't much in the way of money. Actually, I was bitter about it for a long time until I considered in a very small town with a very small congregation, he was probably trying to raise enough to buy a few groceries.

In Jr Hi, Mom got me signed up for Wed night youth church. Tough crowd! I got in more fights at church than I ever did in school. My main take away from that concerned watching out for sucker punches. But we sent our daughters to catechism, and they got on well with that. Older daughter attends regularly - younger daughter... not so much.

What prompted this post? Wifey is on her iPad watching Sat. night church and listening to that brough back a few early memories from my religious experiences. SW

Blog Entries

watched, or really listened, to a bit of the Coronation yesterday whilst doing stuff around the house,
    did notice a bit of conversation about how inclusive (paraphrasing a bit) King Charles would be regarding other non christian religions,

there also seemed to be a big deal about the Prime Minister (who is Hindu) reading some passages from the Bible,

I was brought up in a Baptist family, one side never attended, the other went several times a month,

first preacher I remember had the 60's Clint Eastwood hair cut, and was a bit fire and brimstone,

when we moved out to the semi rural county, we stopped attending, and i have not been back since,

mother claims a Comparative Religion course in college ruined me,

wife goes but does not push me to go, (not that she would succeed)

basically, to put a name on it, I'm Agnostic

I'm with you Lyman

I believe part of the dust up in the OP was the use of a church in The Vatican to host an Episcopal service. The Episcopalians and other Anglicans along with the Lutherans are sort of Catholic lite in that their services can look very Catholic from the outside. Anyhow, those Episcopalians didn't jump through the proper hoops and it caused a big blow up with the Catholics because the people who authorized this didn't have the authority to do it and if the people who did have the authority had been consulted it would have never happened.

The King of The United Kingdom, besides being head of state, is head of the Church of England, it comes with the territory. His mom was very serious about that part, how serious old Charlie III is we'll have to see. Church attendance is very spotty in the U.K. and, in fact, in all of Europe and getting more and more that way here as the political, social, and economic benefits of church membership decline (see thread on the decline of social clubs.) Some Christians actually look on that as a benefit in that you're getting down to the "true believers."

I saw a recent poll that said in this century regular church attendees in this country are down under 50% for the first time since they've been keeping records and the number of non believers, atheists and agnostics has risen to over 20% of the population from under 10% at the end of the last century. Smaller churches have really taken it in the shorts as people gravitate to larger ones in large part because of programs for their kids. Its not for long if a church doesn't have a really strong youth program in the current environment.
    Last edited by Art; 05-07-2023 at 05:53.

Grandad was an ex-com Catholic, so we grew up in a weird mish/mash of what Mom and Dad were doing: United and Anglican.
    Was supposed to do the confirmation thing at age 12 and chickened out due to a severe case of stage-fright.
    Probably had something to do with so few of us doing it~ would've been alone up there.

I noted with interest the stance of my great grand parents who were old-time Catholic.
    They'd darken any, (and I MEAN any) door for family, and not even say boo.
    Tolerant was what they were, and it set a great example for the rest of the family.

Sat through some very good morals based sermons as a kid, and couldn't agree more that this sort of thing is still a good idea today.
    I don't go anymore, since I came to terms with myself.
    Personally, I can't even claim Agnosticism- I've taken far too many fish and wild game to deny anything.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

As a teenager attended church with a good friend. Preacher was from the fire and brimstone school. He gave the teenage boys hell as he would gesture toward the female choir, "you boys tell these young girls, give me just one kiss and I will buy you a diamond ring!" which we never figured out.

One of the church ladies lived right across the street from the church, and noticed the church secretary and the preacher were having a lot of nighttime business at the church. One night she walked over, and found the preacher's study locked. She sat down and waited until they came out, and by the next day the Lord had called the preacher to another church.

My random thought on religion is that over the centuries, religion of one variety or sub-variety or another has caused more death and destruction than any other motivation except possibly the raw desire for power. Just think of the battles in Europe between Catholics and Protestants; between Catholics and people that the Catholic Church thought were heretics; between Christians and Jews; between Moslems and Christians and between Moslems and Jews; between Moslems and anybody who didn't want to be Moslem; between Hindus and Moslems; etc., etc.

In almost all cases, the hatreds have been spurred on by the religious extremists who feel that they have both a right and a duty to impose their will on others (and who gain power, thereby)

I know that the belief in God and in Heaven brings comfort to a lot of people, but the evil that has been carried out in the name of religion is overwhelming

Blog Entries

the little Church the wife and I got married in split up the congregation a few years later,

small baptist church lost 1/3 or so if it's members over a squabble between 2 deacons, who were friends, over some drama (not cheating etc, just some squabble) outside of church,

9. Default

Historians pretty much agree that the 20th Century has been the worst and the monsters of the 20th Century, Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, Mao and all the Minor League ones-Pol Pot, e.g. were secular in motivation.
    One of the ironies of the 1960s was that it brought people who had been at each others throats for centuries-Christians and Jews, e.g.-together, they suddenly realized they had an awful lot in common, shared values, e.g. In this country Evangelicals fighting to keep LGBTQ propaganda out of schools are being joined by Muslim parents who are just as opposed, in Jerusalem a few years at a new conference to protest a homosexual rights conference were 2 Orthodox rabbis, 2 Christian bishopsand 2 imams.

10. Default

I keep religion between me and my maker