Thread: S&W Model 17

Default S&W Model 17

I recently traded for a S&W Model 17. It is marked "22 Long Rifle", but it will chamber and fire .22WMR with excellent accuracy. Does anyone know if this a factory job, or an aftermarket modification? Any info is much appreciated.

Blog Entries

which model 17? (as in which dash)

likely someone swapped out the cylinder, they were available

It is marked 17-3. Thanks for the response.

Blog Entries

just checked my SCSW, and there were no noted variations in 22mag,
    unlike the 48, which had a 22LR extra cylinder as an option,

guessing someone fitted a 48 cylinder to it,

Lyman is probably right....but -

I once, in my previous LEO life, seized a S&W Model 12 (aluminum frame Model 10.) When I unloaded it out popped six rounds of .357 Magnum. I looked at the barrel and sure enough it said S&W .38 Special CTG. I later asked the local S&W rep/gunsmith about this and he said boring out .38 Special Revolver charge holes to take .357 Magnum cartridges was a conversion engaged in by some gunsmiths for many years. He said he had actually worked on a Model 12 that had had this conversion but would no longer fire because enough Magnums had been fired in it to peen back the frame to the point that the firing pin would no longer reach the primer.

My point is, if somebody would do such a conversion to a Model 12, I bet someone could be found who would do a similar job on a Model 17.

I own a Model 17 but I no longer own a .22 Magnum, nor ammunition, but, we'll see a friend who is a big .22 Mag. fan before long and I'll see if my revolver will also chamber .22 Mag.

How does your pistol work with .22 Long rifle??
    Last edited by Art; 05-02-2023 at 11:37.

Blog Entries

I would say to check the frame vs crane assy numbers,,but not sure the still did that on the 17-3's,

and Art is correct, some one could have reamed it,

Tried a 22 LR cartridge for the chamber fit. The rim recess was a bit too large, and the chamber fit was too loose. The barrel appears to have been stoned to adjust barrel-to-cylinder gap. I already have one 17 in .22, so I am pleased to have the mag version. Thanks for the info.

8. Default

Bought a Model 34, dealer also had a 51(?) .22 Mag. I could have sent the 51 in and gotten a LR cylinder fitted but he explained if I sent in the 34 Smith would change the barrel and replace both cylinders. Different bore specs, etc and cylinder length.
    Slug the barrels and see the difference.
    Last edited by barretcreek; 05-07-2023 at 11:42.

Blog Entries

FWIW, I bought a handful of Smith's from a local guy that used to live and work near the plant in MAss,

he had a few revolvers (I bought most of them) that were errors or oops,
    as in a Mod 29 marked frame with a Mod 24 barrel and cylinder

I don't recall what the other 2 were, but they are by no means rare,, and somewhat collectible,

found another in an estate out of TN a year or so later,

I have a Mod 27 in the shop now with what appears to be a 27 barrel, only marked 38 Special,
    and a 38 Cyl,