Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Silent air rifles?

I have heard there are new air rifles that are much quieter than the ones I tried 10 years ago. I looked it up on Google and I do not see any ads stressing the noise level.

Anybody here know of a air rifle that would be quieter than my SS, 1950s Remington shooting vintage shorts?

Blog Entries

similar,

not sure of the decibel rating on the shorts,

Colibre in my Anschutz sound like they are silenced, as in you hear the striker drop and the bullet hit the target, not much else,

most of the new stuff by Gamo , Crosman etc have some silenced or quiet function added,

my vintage Diana 34 is almost as loud as a standard 22

Have one of the little Browning .22 Short only rifles. There is only 40 fps or so difference in .22 Short velocity and speed of sound, and occasionally I would get a crack out of one of the shorts. It may have gotten a little more powder, putting it over the speed of sound.

4. Default

I can only speak to what I'm familiar with. Doubtless there's a ton of stuff out there I've never seen.

I ended up with several airguns back when the Yellow Airgun Forum was a thing.
    The quietest of the bunch were/are single pump where the trigger simply opens a valve to let the pressure escape.

In pistols, I can speak for the Air Venturi AV46 and the Russian IZH 46M (pictured - top)
    Air.jpg
    lower pistol is a Chinese break barrel, purchased as a project piece. It's the noisier of the two.

For a quiet air rifle I'd reach for my Daisy Avanti from the CMP.
    I honestly do not know if any of these are available new anymore.

I'd be surprised if we're still importing anything from Russia, same goes for Chinese air.
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 04-19-2023 at 06:39.

Most of the Diana branded air guns are made by Snowpeak in china.
    Most of the lower end Beeman line is chinese as well.
    All of the crosman and ruger springer rifles are chinese.

As for moderated/silenced, it depends on what the gun is.
    For most .177 850 fps and slower, it's not really necessary.
    My BSA meteor at 650 fps sounds like a dry twig snapping over loose gravel- not noisy at all.

Getting over 800 fps in .22 is a bit noisier, but still quieter than the h/v .22 short which actually have a sonic "crack" to them.
    Going ultrasonic in .22 and larger is a bit noisier.
    Depending on the temperature, you'll start getting the sonic crack around 850-900 fps.
    This becomes really noticeable on the higher powered PCP's which are out there now, and I think most come with some form of moderation.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Blog Entries

my Diana is old,

pretty sure it is German

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    Most of the Diana branded air guns are made by Snowpeak in china.
    Most of the lower end Beeman line is chinese as well.
    All of the crosman and ruger springer rifles are chinese.
    If, as you say, they're still coming out of China then, I'm surprised.

- - - Updated - - -

That doesn't mean I don't believe you, just that I'm surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    my Diana is old,

pretty sure it is German
    If it is roll stamped with the dropping bow, then it is most likely german made.
    The Diana re-branding is still fairly recent~ the Diana laser etched breeches started coming out of china about 7 or 8 years ago.

Air gun shipments have been slow getting out of china for almost a year now, but they are getting out with some orders being almost 6-9 months behind schedule.
    Apparently they have come up with changes to their export regulations.
    There isn't a lot of info around on what the problem is.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

There are silencers available for air guns - as well as I know, those are regulated the same as silencers for cartridge firearms. SW

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    There are silencers available for air guns - as well as I know, those are regulated the same as silencers for cartridge firearms. SW
    On most of the newer PCP applications, the moderator is made integral to the bbl, usually with a tube running the full length of the bbl as in shrouded.
    I'm not sure how ATF classifications would work with air-guns, as most U.S. jurisdictions do not consider air powered weapons to be firearms.
    I have yet to see a moderator/silencer made for pistols, or one that is easily detachable from a rifle bbl.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail