Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    I'm happy to report the Knights of Columbus (Catholic organization) are thriving. We have posts all over the world, not just in the US.

When I got back from my first tour in Viet Nam, I applied to the VFW, but they told me it wasn't a declared war.
    My old daddy was a member of the Knights of Columbus and his brother was the head guy in charge (Grand Knight) of the Knights of Columbus in Louisiana. As a kid my brother and I hung out in the KC hall a lot when daddy was there which was several times a week. It had a bar and I mostly remember it as a private beer joint because I was never there when official business was taking place. They had a really nice pool table and we kids spent a lot of time playing eight ball and rotation on it. When I'm back there I still have a twinge of nostalgia if i drive past it.

I recently heard Ted Cruz rake AG Garland over the coals over active FBI investigations into the Knights of Columbus and traditional Catholic parishes, especially Latin Mass parishes. Yep, a real bunch of subversives there. Garland denied knowledge of the investigations.....of course.
    Last edited by Art; 04-24-2023 at 06:44.

2. Default

Back when life was more "local", more "hometown" social and fraternal organizations also allowed for networking, making contacts. In 1937 it was revealed that Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black had been a member of the KKK, he acknowledged his membership, said he had resigned and had no further contact with it. But he did not repudiate its platform. Before being nominated by FDR Black had been a senator, he later said "I would have joined any group if it helped me get votes."

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    My old daddy was a member of the Knights of Columbus and his brother was the head guy in charge (Grand Knight) of the Knights of Columbus in Louisiana. As a kid my brother and I hung out in the KC hall a lot when daddy was there which was several times a week. It had a bar and I mostly remember it as a private beer joint because I was never there when official business was taking place. They had a really nice pool table and we kids spent a lot of time playing eight ball and rotation on it. When I'm back there I still have a twinge of nostalgia if i drive past it.

I recently heard Ted Cruz rake AG Garland over the coals over active FBI investigations into the Knights of Columbus and traditional Catholic parishes, especially Latin Mass parishes. Yep, a real bunch of subversives there. Garland denied knowledge of the investigations.....of course.
    But did he say he was going to look into it?

Quote Originally Posted by blackhawknj View Post
    Back when life was more "local", more "hometown" social and fraternal organizations also allowed for networking, making contacts. In 1937 it was revealed that Supreme Court Justice Hugo Black had been a member of the KKK, he acknowledged his membership, said he had resigned and had no further contact with it. But he did not repudiate its platform. Before being nominated by FDR Black had been a senator, he later said "I would have joined any group if it helped me get votes."
    Black was hired by the Ku Klux Klan to defend a Klansman who had murdered a Catholic priest. The Judge and Foreman of the jury were both Klansmen, and he won. He then joined the Klan and used his membership to form a political base and got elected to the Senate.

As Lyman said earlier,

I joined my VFW in '06 after returning from my first tour in Iraq. There were a couple of WWII vets as well as a couple from the Korean War. The post was mainly Vietnam Vets and they ran it. I was in my early 40's and about the youngest member at the time. My post didn't have a bar as they had closed it to distance them from the crowd that hung out at the local American Legion (drunks).

I was active for a few years. In addition to our monthly meetings and dinner we sent care packages to deployed service members, had breakfast fund raisers once a month, the ladies auxiliary ran Bingo once a month. Really a nice low key place to hang out occasionally. I enjoyed the camaraderie of the older Vets. Then the older crew started to die off and I got busy with other things, such is life. Now my post is probably going to close because lack of membership as most of these organizations are facing.

I think it stems from the modern times. When these fraternal organizations were in their heydays they offered social activities for the family, etc. in their communities. Now it's hard to get the younger generation of Veteran's interested because there are too many other options out there for entertainment for singles and family. Sad but, an inevitable situation in the modern world.

just my .02
    Last edited by WpnsMan; 04-28-2023 at 02:48.

The internet doesn't help either. A lot of people stay on line a lot chatting on FaceBook, Twitter, email and other chat sites plus they phone text.

Covid obviously didn't help either. People had to get away from each other physically and made up for it with the phone and internet contacts.

My .01 worth.

PA passed a non smoking law for public establishments several years ago. Unfortunately, private establishments like the American Legion, VFW, Eagles, etc. are exempt from the state non smoking law. So, declining interest in joining these organizations is only part of the story in PA. I’ve been in a local VFW for a meeting in Carnegie, PA a few years ago and this non-smoker was not happy. Totally different situation in Ohio. Their non smoking law does not permit smoking in any public or private establishment. I belong to the Eagles in a small rural town in OH and it has a large membership and is well attended. But - most of the people who go there are over 60.

Smoking is a turn-off for me. I see people in their 60s and 70s smoking and I think, "There's no fool like an old fool."

Then I see some kid covered with tattoos and with every possible part of his anatomy pierced and I think, "Hmmmmm."

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    Smoking is a turn-off for me. I see people in their 60s and 70s smoking and I think, "There's no fool like an old fool."

Then I see some kid covered with tattoos and with every possible part of his anatomy pierced and I think, "Hmmmmm."
    I only believe in smoking if you're on fire.

If vaping had come about before all the smoking bans it would be normal to smell that crap everywhere you went. Going into a typical restaurant, smelling the vanilla, banana, coconut and cherry vaps would remind you that you are smelling and breathing everything others are exhaling and distributed by the vapor.

Lung cancer has taken 8 of our family members over the years. All were heavy smokers and all were dead by their 50s or early 60s except my grandfather was the youngest at 49. I have 8 very good reasons to hate tobacco.

Then there’s the cost to consider. A pack a day is nearly equal to a monthly car payment.