Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Organizations dying out

One block closer to Main St is an Odd Fellows lodge. Used to be quite a crowd there on monthly meeting night. Once a month they used to put out a sign advertising a free pancake breakfast which I assumed was to attract new blood. I always meant to stop in for a pancake but never managed it with my work hours being so irregular.

Last time I drove by when they were doing that, I noticed several of the regulars using walkers. Around the holidays, they had a larger than usual crowd with license plates from surrounding states. Given there aren't that many Odd Fellow clubs going, I figured a number of them have made this one their base but may have abandoned the idea.

Today there were exactly 2 cars there. I figure the building will be up for sale one of these days. Sad in a way, but I think society is evolving away from organizations like that. I mean, Odd Fellows were originally a WW1 thing as I recall. "Loyal order of Cooties" was an award based on the common louse. Other organizations also seem to be dwindling. Like Lions, Eagles and Mooses. Elk Clubs are still a thing in this part of the world... Masons are still going - I think. They pretty much keep to themselves.

When I was in HS, there was a Spanish-American War club in my small hometown. It didn't last long. If I'd had my head out of my butt, I'd have had a teacher help me organize an interview. Draw a line through that idea.

When I got out of the service, I thought about joining the VFW, but it was run by WW2 vets then & they had little use for Viet Nam vets. "It wasn't a real war!" I was told. So to heck with them - never went back. Actually, the VFW is next block over around the corner from the Odd Fellows'.

Nebr Viet Nam Vets had their annual state wide meeting there a few years back. A bunch of do-gooders wanted people to relate their experiences for a possible book. Wasn't a member - didn't bother to stop. Firstly because I didn't do anything worth remembering, and secondly, I had visions of guys lining up for a free beer and the chance to tell how they single-handedly defeated Uncle Ho's boyz and was the sole survivor. No thank you, please.

I had no real point in posting this - the dying Odd Fellows club just caught my attention for some reason. SW
    Last edited by 5thDragoons; 04-21-2023 at 07:41.

People are changing. Wars are changing. America is losing it's nationality---too many people moving here that don't support our ways and would not fight for us if need be. Troops being sent to Vietnam, Afghanistan, Syria, Iraq, Falkland Islands and many other places don't seem to be in America's best interest compared to being physically attacked as in WWII. Due to NATO we are fighting everyone else's wars.

My 2 cents worth.

Blog Entries

my friend Wpnsman joined or went to his local VFW a few years back, said it was mostly old coots and hew as the youngest there,
    but then again, all the younger guys were busy living a life, kids, job, etc, and may not have time for the groups

I as kinda recruited by the Masons once, but another customer I had at the time told me not to bother if I did not have the time to go thru the motions, and at that time I did not,

I have a good friend that is a Ruritan member, and used to work with a guy that is a member at another 'branch' or lodge, both 'clubs?" do Brunswick Stews a couple times a year, and I buy from both
    (similar recipes, but one is a bit bland , supposedly due to it being older men cooking, so a dash or 2 of Tabasco makes it just right)

at one store I ran we had a drop box for used eyeglasses, maintained by the Lions Club, but it has been many years since I was in that business, not sure if they are still around

FWIW, I am a member of the SAR, (Sons of the American Revolution) and there are a good handful of similar groups, (SR, 1812 society, Cincinnatus etc etc) that have a presence, but are mostly old guys , looking for newer younger members

My Dad was a Mason as were a lot of his friends. I thought of becoming a member but just didn't know enough about it and you practically have to be invited. I don't know of anyone from my generation (here) that's a member. Since so many of these organizations are so secretive and selective on who can join and how you can join they can pretty much rule out getting new members.

I realize they want only members that fit the bill. People who they will get along with and etc. but they may be taking things too far.

When I looked into becoming a Mason they sent me some info. I needed to send them $300 to apply. At their next meeting they would bring up the names of those who wanted to join. If anyone didn't know you or blackballed you for any reason you were rejected but could apply again after a while, each time submitting $300. Like I said, I don't know of any current members or someone who would vouch for me. I wouldn't go to the meetings anyway so I didn't think any more about it.

When I was very young my Grandfather would take me to the local bar. Back then our community was small and everyone knew one another. All the bar served was beer. Everyone that went there was a local farmer and had to work so no one hung around all day--you came in, drank one or two beers, did a little fellowship, and left. No problems ever from that place. It is long gone now and so are the farmers.

In our town we have several churches that are on the verge of going out of existence. A mixture of factions in the church, and young people just don't join churches like they use to.

6. Default

I have read a number of stories of Vietnam Vets being rebuffed by VFW posts, years ago when I spoke to the commander of the local American Legion post he said 'we didn't get the Korea and Vietnam guys." Read there was someting of an upsurge in social and fraternal organizations in the 20s, the Depression took a heavy toll of them, then WWII, then changing lifestyles in the 50s and 60s-TV, e.g. resulted in people staying home more, didn't feel the need to go "out". Today how many of all generations do their socializing on the Internet ? Churches ? Given the disintegration of family life, not surprising.
    Last edited by blackhawknj; 04-23-2023 at 01:03.

As has been well said already, these fraternal organizations have been in decline since the mid 1960s.

I have a cousin (mid 70s) who's husband (mid 60s) is a Master Mason, she's very active in Eastern Star and they are both extremely active in Shrine activities, especially hospitals. A while back we were invited to one of their balls. It was in a mid size city, had a very good live band and was very well attended, but, and its a big but, there were very few people there under 50 and I figure the median age was mid to late 60s. So I think we can safely say that everything said above about social changes is factual.

Churches are bit of a different story. Church attendance, (all religions and denominations) those who go at least a couple of times a month is down under 40% of the general population. This has really hit small to mid size houses of worship in the shorts. Mega churches still do well because they provide services, especially youth services, smaller churches can't provide. It's not for long with any church that can't provide a really good program for kids and adolescents.

I'm happy to report the Knights of Columbus (Catholic organization) are thriving. We have posts all over the world, not just in the US.

When I got back from my first tour in Viet Nam, I applied to the VFW, but they told me it wasn't a declared war.

9. Default

One town not far from me just disbanded its first aid/rescue squad due to lack of members, volunteer fire departments hard hit. Part of the problem is younger workers having service economy jobs that require working nights, weekends, erstwhile middle class office workers working for companies that "own" their employees, they don't have the time for these things. IIRC many organizations had women's auxiliaries, men often brought sons and grandsons into the organization. How often does that happen today ?

Forgot about optimists - there might still be a few of those around. SW
    pic2a.jpg