Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Still think EVs are the wave of the future?

Last edited by Merc; 04-18-2023 at 06:20.

They are OK. Just do't park them near the house. Hard as heck to put them battery fires out.

This is what the government will soon be forcing us to buy and drive.

SUV's took the place of cars because people favored SUV's. NO, it was because nice large cars were no longer made.

Next, it will be EV's because gas powered vehicles will not be available or taxed to the point no one can buy them.

They seem to go directly to an intense burning situation very quickly and are also known to explode violently. I cant see how anyone in the car survives if it happens while the car is being driven.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    They seem to go directly to an intense burning situation very quickly and are also known to explode violently. I cant see how anyone in the car survives if it happens while the car is being driven.
    Sometimes these fires are hard to extinguish too.

Gives new meaning to the term "hot battery".

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Sometimes these fires are hard to extinguish too.

Gives new meaning to the term "hot battery".
    I read that it takes more than 6000 gallons of water to extinguish a typical burning EV. Highly flammable/explosive hydrogen gas is formed when the battery material is exposed to water. It’s like pouring gasoline on a burning fire. The best the firemen can do is to cool down the source and hope the burning material consumes itself.

Did you notice that the fire thats coming out from underneath the doors is under extreme pressure from the burning hydrogen gas, almost like a blowtorch. So, if you are the driver or a passenger, how do you escape?

Modern car 12 volt gel cell batteries are unvented, but the old lead acid batteries released hydrogen slowly as they discharged but could produce huge amounts very quickly and become explosive if there was a short circuit.
    Last edited by Merc; 04-19-2023 at 05:14.

At one of my previous jobs long, long ago we/they had a large electric fork lift. The lead battery was huge and I was told it was 72V. When we put it on the charger it would emit so much odor/fumes it would take your breath. Less than 2' from this battery was the motor that powered the fork lift. All under the seat where the operator sat. It was always an uncomfortable feeling knowing this motor no doubt had some internal sparking going on when driving (it looked like a large starter).
    Last edited by Allen; 04-19-2023 at 06:37.

That odor was likely hydrogen gas.

People fail to realize how much power is contained in the EV battery and understand that a malfunction could be catastrophic. The car manufacturers have to find a way to contain the fire or explosion. Its like driving a bomb on wheels that could go off at any time.
    Last edited by Merc; 04-19-2023 at 07:08.

Trucks are expected to sometimes tow things, and the electric trucks just aren't up to the task. Plus, the charging stations aren't constructed in a way to get a truck and trailer to them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...le/ar-AA1a1e6p

10. Default

Tesla parked on a side road yesterday had me wondering why someone would leave it where it was.
    Didn't seem to have a flat tire. The hood wasn't up. Then I realized I was thinking along the wrong lines.
    There has to be a routine for the EV equivalent of running out of gas. I just have no idea what it could be other than expensive.