Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

K4-1.

The El Paso roll mark is absent here. It was actually done away with back around the time of the Marksman series of 1" tube scopes.
    The bluing has changed from "real" gun blue to something that looks almost like Jenno-lite cold black.

Turret adjustment screws and scales. There are no "Micro-Track" markings on this scope, but the turrets are somewhat similar.
    Tapered post and cross-wire reticle.

K-12-C3.

Adjustable objective. It will focus down to 50 feet according to it's scale. Fine cross-hair reticle. Shown in "modern" Leupold rimfire rings.

I actually tried tracking this around a scope sighter target at 25 yards with one of the .22's. Increments are surprisingly uniform for a scope this old, and returns to zero fairly well.

More to follow...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

I have a few of these old steel tube Weavers . . . .

Gotta’ wonder how many K4’s there are out there!

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    I have a few of these old steel tube Weavers . . . .

Gotta? wonder how many K4?s there are out there!
    I'm not sure on the K-4's. By the time I got involved, Weaver had become a bit more costly, and was being under-cut price wise by imports.
    The most commonly encountered Weaver for me is the rimfire B-4 with the plastic turret bases and covers. If memory serves me right, the final iteration of the B series had a plastic eye-bell, just prior to the release of the C series.
    The Marksman 4 X on the 1" tube is almost as common...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

The end of an era.
    C-34 Marksman 4 X rimfire in what *may* be the final iteration.
    Common repair of the plastic objective bell housing.
    Just about every one of these I've examined is broken in that location.
    The plastic eye-bell shown here was actually quite long in production~ it first appeared on late versions of the B-4, and went through several iterations of the Marksman 3/4" tube rimfire. The plastic turret housings had a similar length of production. It's soft plastic turret covers were quite easily marred.

Decal-spray-painted info replaces the roll stamp marks here.

Weaver V-8.
    External adjustments only.
    This particular variant requires a nearly perfect on-axis bore- the range of adjustment is quite limited.
    Personally, if they were going to manufacture an external adjustments only scope, they should have done it the same as the big popular names in the target business, with enough adjustments to work on any rifle. I actually had to go to adjustable mounts to get this thing to print on paper at 25 yards with a .22.
    This one is in far from collector condition- rusty, scratched and dinged up badly. Plain fine cross-hair reticle in it is a huge saving grace, and despite the external appearance, the optics are bright and clear.

Roll-stamp mark on the eye-bell behind the eye piece adjustment lock ring.

I think this is the only time this style of roll stamp was used. It is the only time I've seen it.

Sears marked late variant B-4, with the soft plastic turret covers and plastic eye-bell.
    I'm fairly certain the mount is a 3rd party rimfire mount, and not Weaver.

Sears roll-stamp mark.

More to follow a bit later on- I have a few more to dig out yet- their exact location escapes me right now. There's a G-6 and a B-6 in the pile some where that I would like to photograph.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Any idea what I might have to pay for a J2.5 and "N" mount. Looking to 'restore' my first hunting rifle (a mint 1898 Krag which I "sporterized" as a teenager, 70 years ago).

Well, eBay of course! Now, does anyone have a Weaver catalog, or other data for which model "N" was meant for the Krag? Receiver is already drilled and tapped - I THINK it was the "N2".

Yes, I realize there are issues with ejection and a Buehler or equivalent safety should be fitted - however, it will only be shot off the bench and single-loaded, so that's not a big deal.

Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Any idea what I might have to pay for a J2.5 and "N" mount. Looking to 'restore' my first hunting rifle (a mint 1898 Krag which I "sporterized" as a teenager, 70 years ago).

Flea-pay pricing is all over the place.
    The J series is getting hard to find, so good luck there. Keep your expectations low on that scope- they are hard to find with a cross hair that hasn't been bent through over adjustment.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 01-13-2024 at 12:56.