Default Most expensive vintage Weaver?

Auction just ended so it's okay to discuss it now. I'm not sure if there's a no live auction rule here, but I'll be careful anyway.

Vintage Weaver G6 with an added 8X multiplier. Started at $10. Doc knows his stuff about Weavers and we hashed it over. I didn't think it would hit $100 - he figured $200+... With 2 minutes to go, it was at $365!! Grey blankey guy on gunborker had it. He typically gets high bids, but I didn't see this coming. I've got a slightly newer B6 on a 1950 Marlin 39-A. Maybe I should stuff it in the safe! SW
    a3.jpg

The optical booster on it drove the price way up. The Litschert booster increases magnification to 8X.

Without splitting hairs too much, I find this bidding behaviour a bit odd.
    The condition of both the original tube and the booster is not all that great, especially finish wise.
    I suppose if the pockets are deep enough, and the desire great enough, strange things are going to happen.

Those 3/4" tube weaver's make reasonable shooters, once the small image circle becomes accustomed to.
    The fine cross hair reticles in them are a personal favorite.

I need to haul all that stuff out again for a proper photo session...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Blog Entries

those boosters are not common,

looks like 2 guys got into a bidders war at the $148 mark,,

I could rationalize that pricing (almost) for collector grade items~ which the above are not.
    I agree that the boosters are not often seen.
    From what I've read, the Litschert unit simply took the place of the objective retainer ring, and were usually user installed.
    Interesting for sure, but well beyond my means.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Blog Entries

yup, the boosters are basically screw and play, as in screw on and you are done (other that a possible focus change with the ocular)
    I think Litschert made quite a few of them, and Davis after he took the business over when Litschert passed, but they seem to either have dried up, or been tossed long ago for the modern glass

I would think that an original M73B1 would be an expensive Weaver.