Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Looks good from here!

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    Happy Christmas to me! My Hungarian friend came through again bidding on a German auction site for this DDR RR medal. When it and the west German RR medals arrive, I'll have enough stuff to fill another shadow box with RR memorabilia. SW
    Attachment 54242
    What were the medals awarded for?

This one was for meritorious service or similar. DDR commies were as big on medals as the French in many cases. SW

A little more on the DDR RR medals and awards I got a while back.

These 3 are medals for 10, 20 and 30 years faithful service. The 30 year example seems a bit fancier.
    IMG_0347 (2).jpg

At first I thought this one was for good work repairing track. A Euro pal told me ZOE is a department of DDR's railroad and this commemorates service therin.
    IMG_0355 (2).jpg

This might be a collar tab - possibly a cap badge.
    IMG_0351.jpg

Learned a bit researching these. Reichsbahn is mentioned on some. I thought that was the Nazi RR and the term was abandoned when they were defeated in 1945. It was... except in East Germany and the Soviet sector of Berlin. East Germany didn't get much done except try to run their steamers on lignite, and not very successfully at that.

And a Christmas gift from my Hungarian friend - cap for a Hungarian national railway "hogger". From the Warsaw Pact years when Hungary was supposed to be communist. My friend was surprised the cap with commie star had survived. SW
    IMG_0352.jpg

M1894 Marlin 44mag. Ecellant fit & finish. Put a Vortex Crossfire 11 on it. Now for a warm day so I can take it to the range!

Blog Entries

got another No 4 T, (this makes #4) in inventory

knobs are stiff , but move, so will send this off to Wheaty shortly, (wanted to wait till after the holidays)

did pick of a near mint (Stock may have been sanded long ago) Lee Navy with cartridge belt and bayonet,

taking it to shows and have it on the table inventory, but have had a few friends tell me to keep it,

and I may

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    got another No 4 T, (this makes #4) in inventory

knobs are stiff , but move, so will send this off to Wheaty shortly, (wanted to wait till after the holidays)

Pix when you can. Always interested in these.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 01-02-2024 at 06:10.

Blog Entries

will do when I get a chance, tho at least one is on Gunboards,

I need to thin the herd, so to speak, so may let a couple go

Couple of items that came at no cost in the last week:

Argus Seventy Five camera that takes 620 film.
    It's twin lens reflex design with fixed focus.

There's still a roll of Kodacolor-X 620 film in it that has been exposed. That film used C-22 processing, which is similar to Kodachrome in that both start out as B&W images, with the color dyes being the last part of the process. First 620 camera I've seen with a take-up spool still remaining in it.
    It's a wall-hanger at this stage of the game.

There's a look at the somewhat dusty viewfinder showing it's shelf queen provenance.

The single speed spring driven blade shutter still works at about 1/80 sec at the "inst" position, and bulb at the "Time" position.

There's the slightly dented finder cover in the closed position.

Canon GL-2 video camera. This I would have not taken if it didn't have the S/D card driven stills photography feature. The 1.7 megapixels would probably elicit a good laugh these days...

... but the glass it wears is very interesting, even by today's standards.

It uses tiny DV digital video tapes for video shooting.

I ran the battery up in it's charger last night, and if there's time today, I'll try popping a card into it to see what's up with that glass. It powers up normally, and both EVF finders light and show a steady clean image.
    This camera nudged the 2 grand mark (list) when it was released 20 years ago. Likely obsoleted by it's video imaging format today.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 01-07-2024 at 09:57.

10. Default

Sorry, but C-22 is still a chromogenic process (dye couplers in the emulsion) very similar to Ektachrome reversal film. It used the older CD-3 Color developer in the low temp process & can be processed as a B&W by not coupling the dyes. That's also why you could "Cross Process" C22 (kodacolor-X) in E-4 or E-4 (Ektachrome-X) in C-22 for artistic effects.
    You can do a similar process today exchanging E-6 & new Ektachrome emulsions in C-41 & vice versa.
    Never try C-22 film or Ektachrome-X in modern chemistry though the emulsion will be stripped from the backing in development! wrecking the film & killing the chemistry & processor's filters too.
    Last edited by Phloating Phlasher; 01-07-2024 at 02:00.