Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast

Photography is changing real fast. From the DSLR's to Mirrorless and now phones are what the majority of people use. Digital Photography Review, that's been around for 25 yrs. is shutting down this week. I will never really get used to holding the Iphone to take a picture but like everyone else, it's with me a lot more than a camera even though I don't carry the phone around everywhere I go. I'd never heard of AI (artificial intelligence) a year ago and maybe you haven't either, but you will be. It's huge. Insert what kind of photo you want and it makes it. You can open your fridge door and point your phone at the food and it can tell you what you can cook up with the ingredients it sees. The big fear is that it is going to eliminate tens of thousands of jobs.

Here a gun pic:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dryheat; 04-12-2023 at 12:57.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

sad to hear about DPR, I used that sight when I bought my last DSLR

I used Sony Point and Shoots for years to take pics of stuff to sell online, but with the tech in phones now, I started using my phone instead,

easier, and since it is an android phone, and I use a Google phone, it sync's right to my laptop , very easy to download,

3. Default

I try to discourage interdevice communications.
    I don't trust the microwave and the toaster oven's starting to act a little shady.

I usually yank the memory card and slap it into the desktop to get started.
    ...unless I'm using the Android. The 'droid gets cabled.

Blog Entries

my phone is part of my business, besides the usual calls and texts,
    it is my camera,
    hot spot for wifi while on the road or at a show,
    map (Waze is a good app)
    my alarm clock,
    etc etc

if it can integrate and save me some time or effort, then I all for it,

but I don't have it connected to the TV (have not tried honestly)

5. Default

My older Samsung lacks the ability but I could sync through the connected Roku.
    ...option listed under 'settings'

I just realized the Samsung is over 10 years old.
    That's more than double the life of my original Roku.
    ...first one fried, literally overheated and cooked itself

Blog Entries

I have a roku upstairs, wife is warming up to it,
    I mostly watch the downstairs TV, which has a Flex box (from Comcast) that was part of the internet package, and is kinda the same,

we subscribed to Apple TV, since the first 3 months are so are free thru Verizon (wife has an iphone)

so I got to see the first season of Foundation, (very good, but a bit of a departure from the books, as expected) and the second season starts this summer,

otherwise, I am digging Pluto TV (getting used to commercials again) and there are some decent stations on Samsung TV, (lots of good cooking and a few good travel shows)

Phone sensors are still incredibly small. For serious work with images, I prefer the big and bulky and soon out of style full frame sensor DSLR.

My latest phone was a huge mistake- a Samsung A-20. This is the first in a long time wireless phone that I really dislike a lot.
    The camera in it is a real turd- extremely low pixel count. I shudder thinking of trying to get anything other than 3" X 5" enlargements off it.
    The user interface is incredibly poor in it's response- not only with the camera, but also most of the phone functions as well.
    It doesn't come anywhere near what my old work-issued S-6 was.

Personally, I like the concentration that my current photo set-up requires.
    Focus, compose, check exposure, and shoot.
    I am using the manual exposure function with the camera a lot. Despite all it's intelligent exposure modes, it still cannot properly expose a strongly back-lit scene without some type of user in-put, which is not necessarily a bad thing.
    The idea of this with me is to have fun, and increase my profiency with what may well be a dying art form.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

8. Default

There's things I miss about B&W darkroom work, not enough to try and go back to it but there's parts I miss.
    BlueLakeCabin.jpg
    Used to be, thinking about what I was trying to accomplish was a bigger part of things.
    grave.jpg
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 04-12-2023 at 05:45.

9. Default

Some semi good news.
    Even though DPR is going to die they are at least going to archive all that's on it.
    It wont go forward any more obviously, but at least all that great info is still going to be available!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    Phone sensors are still incredibly small.
    Even knowing that to be true, some of the car/dash cam sensors out now blow me away.
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 04-12-2023 at 05:48.