Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

my Pixel 7 Pro has a mighty fine camera,

granted, I am snapping pics and posting stuff on ebay, gunborker, or sometimes our website,
    so I don't need to use a DSLR,
    tried that once, it was actually easier with the point and shoot,

Pixel 7

does struggle with a black cat,
    but so does my D5100

PXL_20221221_011155920.MP.jpg

Nevada

PXL_20230121_193910758.jpg

meanwhile, the old Pixel 3XL

Gary Numan last fall
    PXL_20220316_021820477.MP.jpg

granted, I was on the 3rd row, maybe 25 feet from him,
    but the lighting changes will mess with the camera
    PXL_20220316_010345196.MP.jpg

for giggles, not meant for anyone here

PXL_20210217_210130952.jpg

2. Default

your Nevada shot...

I can't say I did a whole lot better with film-
    Yucca_1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonsdad View Post
    There's things I miss about B&W darkroom work, not enough to try and go back to it but there's parts I miss.
    Attachment 52160
    Used to be, thinking about what I was trying to accomplish was a bigger part of things.
    Attachment 52161
    It doesn't make a whole lot of sense for me to get back into film.
    If I had the space and time to set up a proper dry/wet darkroom with enlarger, I probably would.
    Having done out of house has a lot going against it.
    There are very few left who chemical print commercially.
    Take your C-41 film in, and they'll develop it, but for prints, they are now digital scans.
    Some of the stuff I've seen has been pretty abysmal even compared to the old 1 hr. photo places.
    And then we get into sky high silver paper costs and proper chemical disposal...
    I've decided to side step the whole works, except for the occasional roll through the old F2.
    I still have a little Canon something or other point and shoot that I've kept.
    It is a surprisingly good tool for making reticle pictures, among other things...

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 04-12-2023 at 08:11.

Nikkor 200mm f4 a.i. here at 5.6. ISO 400 for the dark and heavy over-cast. Shot on monochrome.

Same lens at f5.6 and ISO 400 again.
    It is not the equal of a modern lens~ it displays heavy purple fringing ( C/A's) on strongly back-lit subjects.
    I have a Tamron that I'm testing in this regard, and have a bit more to find out yet.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 04-12-2023 at 08:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Sharptail View Post
    ...I'm using a Nikon D-810 digital camera.
    I am not using autofocus lenses with it because those systems have a tendency to shut down around 32F/0C.
    Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    me thinks you need to upgrade to good glass if you have auto focus problems starting at the freezing mark. ive shot hundreds of images in Alaska when it was -20 to -30F (thats -29 to -35C) and never had an auto focus lens fail. Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L, EF 70-200 f2.8L, and EF 100 macro f2.8L

i shoot in icebox condition hockey arenas (okay theyre only into the 50s) but marching bands and parades down below freezing in the winter too.

Canon 5D3, 5D4 for my bodies. i started a long long time ago with a Canon EX-Auto (an affiliation with Bell and Howell) before the ubiquitous AE-1 and New F-1n. lots of images with a yashicamat 124G but obviously those werent auto focus

6. Default

I'd mentioned one of my boys taking snaps with his cell (smart phone).
    recent shots from Idaho-

E_sheep_2.jpg

headShot.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ltdave View Post
    me thinks you need to upgrade to good glass if you have auto focus problems starting at the freezing mark. ive shot hundreds of images in Alaska when it was -20 to -30F (thats -29 to -35C) and never had an auto focus lens fail. Canon EF 24-70 f2.8L, EF 70-200 f2.8L, and EF 100 macro f2.8L

i shoot in icebox condition hockey arenas (okay theyre only into the 50s) but marching bands and parades down below freezing in the winter too.

Canon 5D3, 5D4 for my bodies. i started a long long time ago with a Canon EX-Auto (an affiliation with Bell and Howell) before the ubiquitous AE-1 and New F-1n. lots of images with a yashicamat 124G but obviously those werent auto focus
    That information on operating temperatures comes directly from the D-810's user manual.
    I had worked a bit previously with an ED glassed Coolpix (nikon) L-820 p&s, and it would quit around 28F or so- as soon as the helicoid grease in the internals started to stiffen.
    I've had the D-810 body out at close to -35 with varying different manual focus lenses aboard, and the camera functioned normally.
    TBH, after paying what I did for the body, I had very little interest in A/F lenses, entirely based on pricing.
    I've handled a few, yes, but there's little of the robust feel of the old film era m/f lenses.
    I try to keep an open mind on such things~ there may come a time that my situation changes.
    I've heard plenty on various Nikon and other DSLR's functioning well in the cold.
    I do get a bit of possibly unfounded paranoia of fogging the sensor at such extremes, but that's probably just me.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail
    Last edited by Doc Sharptail; 04-13-2023 at 10:40.

Quote Originally Posted by Phloating Phlasher View Post
    Some semi good news.
    Even though DPR is going to die they are at least going to archive all that's on it.
    It wont go forward any more obviously, but at least all that great info is still going to be available!
    A sight that I miss that many of you may not have heard of is the photo section in Wunderground, the weather site. They used to host a photo section that had many thousands of pics sent in from all over the world. Many were so good it wanted me to give up. They gave up the site and I haven't seen it since. Hopefully it's still out there somewhere---there's a lot of great work gone if not so.
    Last edited by Allen; 04-14-2023 at 08:11.

The DP review site is still acting a little funny.
    I'll give it another week or so, and try again.

Regards,

Doc Sharptail

Blog Entries

so, walking the trash can up to the road yesterday and spotted a nice looking cardinal,
    he moved,
    then moved again
    then moved again,

then as I clicked the shutter on the phone camera (zoomed all the way out) he said nope and moved to the back yard,

big pretty red bird did not like attention,

damn bird.jpg