Thread: Measuring up

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plain

Default Measuring up

Okay, I bothered you all with what kind of tumblers you use to clean your brass, now I'm going to irritate you with another question........

What do you use to weigh/measure your powder loads?

When I first started reloading many moons ago, I had a set of the yellow Lee dippers (still have them). They're fine for reloading a box of .38s or a hand full of .30-30 shells to go hunting, but NOT for larger quantities.

Yes, I had a beam scale, but to me it was even slower than the dippers. And not really any more precise. It took forever to load any large amount of ammo this way. I got really fed up, and so disgusted I was ready to quit reloading once and for all.

I browsed the internet and found a ammo site having a clearance sale on electronic powder dispensers, and this is what I got....

DCP_1032a.jpg

It's a Lyman Gen 6 powder electronic powder measure. Once you fill it with powder you simply punch in your load and hit "Dispense." it dispenses, trickles, and weighs the precise powder amount in just a few moments. Once that is poured into the case, you hit "Repeat" and it dispenses the load again for the next cartridge.

It's awesome!
    Last edited by mtnboomer; 04-08-2023 at 04:56.
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.― Mark Twain

2. Default

when I'm serious I use the belding and mull dispenser , otherwise the lyman or redding and trickle up .

RCBS Uniflow powder measure. I don't fully trust anything digital.

I'm sure your Lyman Gen 6 is much better and faster but I like to stay with tried and true.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have used most of the electronic dispensers over the years. Now, settled on an RCBS Matchmaster. Whatta Hobby!

IMG_5432.jpg
    Last edited by nf1e; 04-09-2023 at 08:24.

5. Default

I have RCBS measure similiar to this one above. I use beam scale to measure the weight of whatever the measure throws, and with some adjustments I get the amount that I want.

After that I usually check every 5th throw, put on the scale, confirm and go on loading. If not using the progressive, I will put charged cases in a block, visually confirm powder levels.

When throwing spaghetti powders, I set the measure the throw 1/3 of the weight. If I want 45 grains, I set the powder measure to throw 15 grains and check every 5 on the scale. I guess I don't ever see much difference on the scale and whats measured goes into next case.
    I never have to adjust the powder measure very far to get the amount that I need. Unless I am loading for the .380.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Rodbear; 04-09-2023 at 08:50. Reason: proof reading

Love the .04 gn accuracy advertised. I find the Matchmaster will actually do .02gn or down to the kernel of powder. Whatta Hobby!

Berger 115.jpg
    Last edited by nf1e; 04-12-2023 at 02:25.

Blog Entries

I have the RCBS great grand daddy to the matchmaster nf1e has, and it is accurate, but slooowwwww,

used it when I sot a lot of Garand matches, it is great for 4064 or 4895

556 loads are usually ball, so an old Forster measure, or the Redding,

check about every 5th load for the first 25 or so, then keep going,
    and will recheck if I have to refill the measure

I also empty the measure when I am done