Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

biggest venue we went to was Merriweather Post in Md,

and the Jiffy Lube live in Va,

about the same size,

saw a ton of bands, including Elvis Costello from IbMePdErRoIoAmL till maybe Punch the Clock
    saw the Killers there too,

Coldplay at JLL,

most of what we go see is 80's alternative, so the venues (The National in RVA, The Norva in Norfolk, and 930 club, Lincoln, Echo Stage, in DC,
    just to name a few, have maybe 3000 people,

easy in and out,

Yup, I never liked crowds and now I can't even imagine going to concert. I never listen to the radio. Utube has turned me on to loads of great music. I have stacks of CD's out in the workshop but I don't know how people listen to (or buy) music these days. It has something to do with phones.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Yup, I never liked crowds and now I can't even imagine going to concert. I never listen to the radio. Utube has turned me on to loads of great music. I have stacks of CD's out in the workshop but I don't know how people listen to (or buy) music these days. It has something to do with phones.
    Same here. Made a lot of music discoveries on YouTube and it is money well invested for a nice pair of head phones.

Blog Entries

years ago, when we had in this city, on FM
    a country station
    a rock (AOR) station
    a top 40 station
    an Ez Listening station
    and an Urban Station,

there were very few ways to find out about new music,

VCU's radio station barely left campus,
    UR's radio station had a very limited range,
    very limited

as did the local alternative AM station, 10 miles out of town and the signal got spotty, and I lived more than 10 miles out of town

so, the AOR station (album oriented rock) would sometimes play something besides what we now call Classic Rock,
    and had a show on Sunday nights that played new artist,
    otherwise you went to any of about a 1\2 dozen indy record shops and listened to what they were playing, or gambled on a record based on what you had read (in a magazine, not on the internet) about them and hoped you liked it,

ditto concerts,
    a couple of the indy record shops had a board up on who was playing where,
    sometimes a very thorough list, sometimes not so much,

I missed the Clash in DC by a month, and a few local bar shows by great bands (Gang of 4 for example) by days,,
    just simply because I did not go in the record shop that week,

VCU area, for example, had 5 or more local hot spot small venues, as in most were probably 2x's as big as the normal 3 car garage, but you had to go there to see what was coming soon, or if you got lucky, a flyer was posted somewhere, or word of mouth,

I got lucky and caught Black Flag and The Dead Kennedy's at the same venue a month or 2 apart, and both were great shows

Merriweather Post had a mailing list, if you sent them a few buck early in the season, they would mail you a calendar, and an update later in the year,
    that is how I found out about Costello, and also from a magazine called Trouser Press,
    when they toured each year , and they always hit Merriweather Post,

IIRC, for the Punch the Clock tour, they hit Hampton VA (I was there) and the next night, Merriweather Post, (I was there too)
    great to see a great artist 2 nights in a row

Wifey and I saw Chicago earlier this year. I was surprised how good they still sound and moved.
    Just this past weekend we went to a show with The Spinners and the O'Jays. It was a pretty small crowd but the show was good and the crowd there was fun too.
    Before that it was some while since I saw live music. I think maybe a Demon-Hunter show.....

Tommy

Blog Entries

7. Default

Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Reno- 1970(ish)
    1970ish_2.jpg

I remember being all proud of my new Exacta VX500
    Last edited by Dragonsdad; 04-24-2023 at 08:27. Reason: resize image

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hUkyKBsGtQ

anyone know what series uses this as its theme song?

I could watch the Mashup once a day. I caught sight of the Monkey, very cute. The Phantogram is what a insomniac doesn't need at 2:00 a.m.(it happened). The last one is nice but the cover looks racist to me and I was offended and I'm suing. Thanks for posting them.

The good days of music. I used to go out in the shop and listen the the local college station. KJZZ, AZ State Un KJZZ 91.5- (in the 70's it was actual Jazz. OMG, saxaphone gibberish all day). About 1980 it got better. I'd listen to Bob Corritore's Low Down Blues. All the old timers and gals. Lightnin Hopkins, Momma James, you name it. I listened to this on a set of speakers I ripped out of an old console (if you know what that is). Best souond I will ever hear. It was like actual people were six ft. from me. A little whiskey at the end of the day and good music.
    Almost forgot: Wellll...I woke up this mornin.... It's ancient and not everyone is going to get it. but you know, no one likes anyone else's music.

Who do I love? All the new youong artists (that make music I can understand). Reina del Cid and friends of theirs. Josh and Allison again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoRJ8zZ44tk
    Chech out her solo work too. She does old shmaltzy stuff I never liked when I was younger. Weird how I like some of this stuff now days.
    Last edited by dryheat; 04-25-2023 at 02:20.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.